For us, code is not a document.  Document suggests a singular 'thing' or at
least a group of things in proximity and closely held together.  The nature
of code is that it can't be thought of as a document, physical or 'real'
analogies don't work well.  Even the simplest type of code, say for example
HTML (which is technically not code but has some of the same qualities)
incorporates whole other 'documents' (e.g. images), parts of other
documents (e.g. classes and functions) and those can be distributed
anywhere when you factor in a network.  Document in new media is simply an
agreed dumbed down term for the benefit of communicating - similar to
desktop as I mentioned and one of my own best loved/most hated, 'virtual'.