As the Viewfinders online platform/gallery is almost finalized,
www.viewfinders.gallery<http://www.viewfinders.gallery/>, we are now working on
the AR feature. A prototype was recently premiered in public at i-Docs in
Bristol (https://idocs2018.dcrc.org.uk/). Copy and paste the following link
into any Android device when you are on the move:
https://script.google.com/macros/s/AKfycbyPPQp8r4OZsyWwBGuPLVvCYlsuQ7zsPbW33yUdLw7NcuW_6I7D/exec
 or via QR code: https://twitter.com/VGalleryMobile/status/976755603568844800
The idea of the AR experience is to explore the state of travelling, being out
and about and/or being on the move as a process of making new connections. The
word documentary itself derives from the French, who used the term documentaire
to describe travelogues (Grierson in MacCann 1966, p.207). Viewfinders allows
participants to upload short video shots captured on smartphones into an
expanded documentary that both situates moving-images into the world and
creates a world around them. Theoretically Viewfinders can be examined through
the Open Space Documentary (Zimmerman and De Michiel 2017) “Open Space
documentary shift away from a narrow focus on the highly crafted finished
product toward responsive and iterative processes deployed across platforms and
places.” Viewfinders “configures networks not solely as digital interfaces, but
as the nexus of people, places, and technologies”. While Viewfinders is playful
and engaging through its qualities of (utopian) travel experiences, the project
also aims to provoke and reclaim “technologies for people”.
As a creative practice research project we wanted to explore the imaginary
futures / blue sky concept of taking the cinema experience out of the cinema
into the world and realise ideas that I have been considering since 2010 (see
appendix of my PhD project Mobile Mentary – Mobile Documentaries in the
Mediascape). With Google Cloud Vision API, 4G mobile networks and smartphones
some of these ideas are now materialising (even with micro budgets). At the
same time, one should note that the conceptual embedding of APIs into any
project must considered with care. The YouTube video editor that we used to
remix submitted videos such as https://youtu.be/AZrtSKxcaic no longer exists.
We envision to translate the creative inspiration now for social innovation and
support community groups and/or NGOs to show how the form of “smartphone
filmmaking 3.0” can be utilised. In the recent published edited collection
Mobile Story Making in an Age of Smartphones I point at some examples in this
realm and demonstrate how mobile devices and smartphones can make a difference
in peoples’ lives and catalyse creativity in order to tackle current
socio-cultural issues.