Hey everyone sorry for late reply …

The transition between mycelium and performing acts within a network of
activism is wonderful. For us at the Laboratory of Insurrectionary Imagination,
we try to break all separations, especially that between everyday life,
activism and art and its for this reason we are inspired by mycelium and use it
in our work to create tools of creative disobedience against capitalism and all
those who profit from the economy of death, the logic that puts life after
commodities, profit before people, algorithms infront of the living relations
that we all share…

Mycelium teaches us like Deleuze, to begin alway in the middle, to see the
world as relationship, not a network of things, not a web of objects, but a
rich interdependent always changing, always situated complex system from which
emerges the intelligence of life…

We live at the moment on the zad, 4000 acres of land squatted against an
airport and its world, in france, that despite winning against the airport is
now being destroyed, because as David Graeber writes (in the preface to a
recent book about the zad)  “ Over the past 40 years it become an imperative of
global governance to destroy any sense of possible alternative futures and to
stamp them out, or, when that's not possible, to make sure no one knows about
them. The rulers don’t mind if people say, “I hate you, I want to overthrow
you” nearly so much as they say “You guys are ridiculous and unnecessary.”
That’s why they really fear places like the zad. For the rulers of the world,
such visible alternatives shatter the sense of inevitability, that despite
crisis after crisis, the system must, necessarily be patched together in the
same form. It has become a kind of obsession to those that try to govern us,
that those who challenge existing power arrangements can never, under any
circumstances, be perceived to win..”
 Below is a chapter just written by us,  for the same book which comes out in
france tomorrow ELOGES DES MAUVAISE HERB
<http://www.editionslesliensquiliberent.fr/livre-%C3%89loge_des_mauvaises_herbes-9791020906427-1-1-0-1.html>
 h writing about what the zad has given us, by Bruno Latour, David Graeber,
Vandana Shiva, Starhawk, Kristin Ross etc.. )  which might be a good way of
starting a conversation about these issues…

FOR MORE INFO about the zad see this english language blog ZAD FOR EVER
<https://zadforever.blog/> and a long read we wrote about the violence of the
evictions these last few months THE REVENGE AGAINST THE COMMONS
<https://zadforever.blog/2018/04/24/the-revenge-against-the-commons/> (also
published on further field
<https://www.furtherfield.org/the-revenge-against-the-commons/>)

love and rage
JJ

THE COMMONS OF RESISTANCE

The police helicopter hovers above, its bone rattling clattering never seems to
stop. At night its long godlike finger of light penetrates our cabins and farm
houses. It has been so hard to sleep this last week. Even dreaming, it seems,
is a crime on the zad. And that’s the point: these 4000 acres of autonomous
territory, this zone to defend (zad), has existed despite the state and
capitalism for nearly a decade and no government can allow such a place to
flourish. All territories that are inhabited by people who bridge the gap
between dream and action have to be crushed before their hope begins to spread.
This is why France’s most largest police operation since May 1968, at a cost of
400,000 euros a day, has been trying to evict us with its 2500 gendarmes,
armoured vehicles (APCs), bulldozers, rubber bullets, drones, 200 cameras and
11,000 tear gas and stun grenades fired since the operation began at 3.20am on
the morning of the 9th of April 2018.

The state said that these would be “targeted evictions”, claiming that there
were up to 80 ‘radical’ zadists that would be hunted down, and that the rest,
the ‘good’ zadists, would have to legalise or face the same fate. The good
zadist was a caricature of the gentle ‘neo rural farmer’ returning to the land,
the bad, an ultra violent revolutionary, just there to make trouble. Of course
this was a fantasy vision to feed the state’s primary strategy, to divide this
diverse popular movement that has managed to defeat 3 different French
governments and win France’s biggest political victory of a generation:
l’abandon de l’aéroport de Notre-Dame-des-Landes.

The zad was initially set up as a protest against the building of a new airport
for the city of Nantes, following a letter by residents distributed during a
climate camp in 2009, which invited people to squat the land and buildings:
‘because’ as they wrote ‘only an inhabited territory can be defended’. Over the
years this territory earmarked for a mega infrastructure project, evolved into
Europe’s largest laboratory of commoning. Before the French state started to
bulldoze our homes, there were 70 different living spaces and 300 inhabitants
nestled into this checkerboard landscape of forest, fields and wetlands.
Alternative ways of living with each other, fellow species and the world are
experimented with 24/7. From making our own bread to running a pirate radio
station, planting herbal medicine gardens to making rebel camembert, a rap
recording studio to a pasta production workshop, an artisanal brewery to two
blacksmiths forges, a communal justice system to a ­library and even a full
scale working lighthouse – the zad has become a new commune for the 21st
century. Messy and bemusing, this beautifully imperfect utopia in resistance
against an airport and its world has been supported by a radically diverse
popular movement, bringing together tens of thousands of anarchists and
farmers, unionists and naturalists, environmentalists and students, locals and
revolutionaries of every flavour. But everything changed on the 17th of January
2018, when the French prime minister appeared on TV to cancel the airport
project and in the same breath say that the zad, the ‘outlaw zone’ would be
evicted and law and order returned.

A true culture of resistance has evolved in parallel with the zad over the
years. Not many people are psychologically or physically prepared to fight on
the barricades, but thousands are ready to give material support in all its
forms, from helping set up a medicinal herb garden to providing free
acupuncture to activists, from donating old windows to build cabins with to
teaching people how to forage mushrooms, donating free printing services for
flyers to doing the plumbing for a new squat Sometimes a culture of resistance
involves beautiful clandestine gestures of solidarity. After the February 2014
anti-airport riots in Nantes, some municipal workers admitted to not putting
too much mortar in-between the cobblestones they were setting back into place,
‘just in case!’ they said.

Every successful movement, from the Suffragettes to the Abolition of Slavery,
had a rich culture of resistance. Everyone as important as the other and just
as heroic and as necessary as the fighters - as a banner on the zad said: 'Pas
de barricadieres sans cuisiniers' ‘There are no women on the barricades without
men in the kitchen’.

But a culture of resistance is not just material. It needs to provide emotional
and affective support as well - and that can come through storytelling. We need
stories that remind us that resistance is never futile, that we are part of a
long history of struggle and that everything we take for granted in this world
was won through disobedience. We need stories of shared life and
interdependencies that counteract capitalism's stories that imagine life as a
battlefield of ruthless competition. We need stories that emerge from the
bodies of those of us living the struggles directly, rather than wait for
academics and journalists to tell them for us from the comfort of their desks
and the distant safety of history.

But a culture of resistance also means opening up to those who might be
different, those that might not have the same revolutionary analysis as us,
those who some put in their box named ‘reformist’, this is what building a
composition is all about, it is how we weave a true ecology of struggle, and
this ecology brought us to live on the zone.

We had heard the stories emerging from this place, stories that had resonances
of many of the historical territorial struggles that had built the horizons
towards which our movements aspired. Echoes of the Paris Commune of 1871,
evocations of the zapatista caracoles of Chiapas. We also had rebel friends who
lived here, but most importantly it was because it had the essential entwined
strands of DNA of any Ecology of Struggle: the yes and the no. resistance and
creation, fighting and building at the same time. We had seen so many
alternatives that refused protest and politics, becoming new start ups, coopted
by capitalism. We had suffered so many protest movements loose their
desirableness, because they had no material examples of the future that they
wanted. When the yes and the no come apart we lose our force, we lose what
gives life to rebellion, and rebellion to life.

And now that the No against the airport has won, what happens without it, will
we become a new green silicon valley ?Absolutely not. The way to refuse this,
is to strengthen our links with other movements and to continue to transform
this place into a powerful provider of a material base that nourishes (in every
way) revolutionary movements. Without inhabiting a territory, if we are
scattered again across the country, we are nothing. The zad was always against
the airport and its world, we still have a world to win, and many worlds to
resist and refuse. But we also want to stay here becauseof something very
simple, we have fallen deeply in love. In love with the bocage, its stories and
all its forms of life, both human and non.

The government wants the inhabitants of the zad to regularise themselves one by
one, to enter into the framework of law and order . “Ecology is not Anarchy”
the minister of ecological transition and solidarity, Nicola Hulot, declared to
the press following one of the negotiations. An easy soundbite to underline
this process of regularisation, this bureaucratic truncheon that falls upon us,
that if we refuse will mean the entire zone will be destroyed by tanks and
gendarmes. But the statement shows his ignorance of the history of ecological
thinking, many of the first theoreticians were anarchists. Élisée Reclus, world
famous geographer and poet, whose beautiful idea that humans are simply “nature
becoming aware of herself,” fought on the barricades of the 1871 Paris Commune.
19th century geographer Peter Kropotkin, spent many years in jail and exile for
his politics, but was renowned in scientific circles as an early champion of
the idea that evolution is not all a competitive war of “red tooth and claw”
but instead involves a cooperation, what he termed Mutual Aid. From the 1950s
onwards, US political philosopher Murray Bookchin (now best known for the
influence he has on the Kurds to build a stateless form of Municipal
Confederalism, taking place in the autonomous territory of Rojova – Northern
Syria) brought ecology and anarchy together with his concept of Social Ecology.
Humans dominate and destroy nature because we dominate ourselves. He claimed.
To avert ecological collapse we had to get rid of all hierarchies – man over
woman, old over young, white over black, rich over poor.

When we truly inhabit a place it becomes obvious that life has no control
centre, no heirachy, no chiefs or bosses, no governments or presidents. Every
form of life is a self organising form of commons – deeply connected and
interdependent, always changing, always embedded and entangled – from the cells
in your fingers to worms in your the garden, from the trees in the forest of
Rohanne to the bacteria in your gut. As biologist and cultural theorist Andreas
Weber says, all life forms “are continuously mediating relationships among each
other – relationships that have a material side, but also always embody
meaning, a sense of living and the notion of belonging to a place.” Every one
of these relations follows one higher principle: only behaviour which allows
for the productivity and diveristy of the entire ecosystem over the long term
will survive. The more we observe the living world in all its complexity the
more we are able to understand how to become commoners, how to truly inhabit
and understand that the separation between the individual and the whole is a
fiction.

 <>To be really free is not to be an individual able to operate free from
constraints, but to be tied to beneficial relationships with people and
habitats, relationships that feed you materially and psychologically. Without a
tie to your food – you starve, without the tie to lovers – you sadden. We are
free because we are linked. Freedom is not breaking our chains but turning them
into living roots and veins that connect, share, flow together and enable us to
change and evolve in common. The struggle for the zad is not about bringing
‘law and order’ back to the zone, but a battle between private property and
those who share worlds, of capitalism against the commons. This is a battle for
the future, one that we cannot loose.