Alan is quite right to stress how extensive the options were for online
encounters in the 90s, beyond the handful i named. The larger point might
still be that knowledge of any of that world is fairly thin these days.
There are a few period accounts. dollyoko mentions Marshall's Living on
Cybermind. Julian Dibbell wrote a book about LambdaMoo. There's a new book
by Claire Evans called Broad Band that has good brief accounnts of Echo and
The Word and is focused on innovations in computation by women.

Of course one could ask whether the linear prose form of the book is the
best or even a necessary way of documenting such things. I think of the
book as an instance of what dollyoko calls "successionist servers." Its
hard to keep them out of Amazon, one of the biggest vectoral class
enterprises of our time, but they will at least 'run' independently of that
proprietary environment.

A book is a concentrated swarm whereas online communication tend to default
to dispersed ones....

dollyoko has some great language for an ongoing project: secessionist
servers, intentional family, open family platforms, vernacular approaches
to infrastructure. (To just pick a few that i think go together with the
themes Shu Lea suggested).

Maybe its a good thing that 90s cyberculture experiments ended up largely
invisible and excluded from history, as now it might be time to be rather
discreet about the possibilities uncovered then. Maybe it was a good thing
for mycelium that it was largely invisible for so long, as nobody figured
out how to monetize it.

mw

--

McKenzie Wark