Hi Daniel,

A found tape also was manipulated when it was made. When we make a
sentence, we manipulate words. To make a word we manipulate sounds. Film,
video, photography are language. Languages occur through manipulation. For
instance, we don't know what stones are saying, feeling, thinking (or if
they are doing any of this) because we do not experience *their* manipulation.
It is extremely passive --a state you seem to find utopian. Lack of
manipulation by one does not liberate that person or animal or thing from
manipulation, just makes it susceptible to manipulation by others. In my
view, what is more crucial, an awareness, watchfulness of who is doing the
manipulation, the processes by which it comes about (in a film or a
photograph or a piece of art or in a politician or in a discussion like
here) and make sure that every/multiple forces can enter it. In other
words, in my view, what is crucial, realistically utopian,so to speak, is
to prevent manipulation to create closed systems.

Ciao,
Murat