I missed the bit where the decision to move to the country was taken. Shame,
because I enjoyed the transition from flat to the city and especially enjoyed
the time in the flat.

I used to teach a seminar on Murnau’s classic Sunrise -  A Song of Two Humans,
it won’t leave me alone as I think about this woman’s return to nature.
Somehow, it’s a very city thing to do to move into nature starting with an
outfit design. Brilliantly City.

This woman blows Murnau’s typically patriarchal approach out of the water. It’s
still a love story but for a planet maybe or a cause, the country still wins,
the city once she joins it is dangerous and complex and yes, she starts with an
outfit.

It seems an appropriate foil to a comparison with the patriarchal history of
film that she worries that the filmmaker might feel taken advantage of.

I like the pace, the evident and slow process of filming, the time as she lives
though a cold winter in her flat, and the punchy speeches.

There’s the fabulous scene in Sunrise where during a country tryst, the city
appears in sky surrounded by the mists of the marshy country. I imagine similar
mist around thought bubbles appearing above the head of our protagonist. What
would they contain?

 …Maybe it’s appropriate that it’s a film without spoken dialogue which I’m
most reminded of in a discussion around voice.

Maia Conran
www.maiaconran.com