       Dear –empyreans,
       The warmest welcome to Tarsh Bates (AU), our October moderator.  I first
met Tarsh in Hong Kong a couple of years ago at the New Media Caucus
Conference.  I was mesmerized by her presentation on the research and creative,
artistic work she was doing with living yeast.  Thrilled that she has not only
agreed to sit on our newly formed Advisory Board but also excited to introduce
her to our list.  Tarsh has curated an exhibition in Australia that lies at the
heart of this month’s topic.  I will let her introduce that to you but I
welcome and introduce Tarsh Base to the –empyre- community.
       Tarsh Bates is an artist/researcher interested in the aesthetics of
interspecies relationships and the human as a queer ecology. I have worked
variously as a pizza delivery driver, a fruit and vegetable stacker, a toilet
paper packer, a researcher in compost science and waste management, a honeybee
ejaculator, an art gallery invigilator, a raspberry picker, a lecturer/tutor in
art/science, art history, gender & technology, posthumanism, counter realism
and popular culture, an editor, a bookkeeper, a car detailer, and a life
drawing model. I was recently awarded a PhD exploring the human as a
multi-species ecology and am currently a research associate at SymbioticA, UWA
and The Seed Box, an international environmental humanities collaboration based
at Linköping University in Sweden and funded by Mistra and Formas. I am
particularly enamoured with Candida albicans.
https://tarshbates.com

Happy October to all,
Renate

Renate Ferro
Visiting Associate Professor
Director of Undergraduate Studies
Department of Art
Cornell University
-empyre soft-skinned space, curator, managing moderator
rfe...@cornell.edu