Thanks so much to Hege, Laura and Lindsay for your fascinating reflections on Frankenstein, monstrosity, art and science last week. I was particularly interested in how your personal experiences with monstrosity and technology inform your art practices and vice versa and the complexity of the responses to them.

I have recently found myself entangled in an interspecies onto-ethico-emotional quandry. The cat that cohabits my home is old as cats go - 18 now and very much a senior. Until recently, he has been cheery enough, still eating and spending his days outside. He is my sundial: I look up intermittently during the day and, seemingly in his sleep, he has moved south to north across the garden. He recently and somewhat unexpectedly went into heart failure and was desperately trying to draw breath. I rushed him to the vet, who grabbed him and disappeared through the doors, leaving me stranded in the waiting room. She appeared 10 minutes later and informed me that he had fluid on his lungs and would probably not last the day. She would try to remove the fluid but warned me that he would likely die during the procedure. A bit dazed, I wandered down to the coffee shop. Two hours later he was still alive, although 10% lighter due to the fluid that was removed. I was shown into an operating room and the vet opened up the black plastic bag acting as a make-shift oxygen tent. I peered in to see him looking very bedraggled and lethargic. A measuring cup with the 300millilitres of fluid extracted from his lungs and chest was on the floor next to him. After spending the day in the tent, we were sent home with anti-fluid tablets and a caution that he would likely not survive the next couple of weeks. I was to count his breaths and wait...The first two weeks were touch and go. He didnt leave the house and barely moved from his favorite chair. Although invasive and painful, this was a relatively minor technological intervention. However minor, it brought him back from the brink. He has spectacularly recovered - a reanimation if you will. He is old and more tired, he drinks a lot more and pees a lot more but seems pretty content. He is back to being a cat about town - very much the catty flaneur of the street.

So where is the quandry? Well, I grew up on a farm and if my cat had gone into heart failure we probably wouldnt have known because she would have hidden herself off somewhere to die - or we would have considered it part of the whole life/death thing and not intervened. Back to now - I am still not sure if the intervention or resurrection was worth it. Dont get me wrong. I care about him and would miss his chats and warmth but he has had a good life. How much better (or worse) is it going to get in the next few months? Although I am no longer counting his breaths, we are still waiting...

Tarsh

--

Co-Convenor Quite Frankly: Its a Monster Conference 18-19 October 2018

Curator This Mess We're In 13 October - 2 November 2018 Unhallowed Arts Festival 2018

Postdoctoral Research Associate • SymbioticA • School of Human Sciences • The University of Western Australia • M309, 35 Stirling Hwy Crawley WA 6009 Australia • T +61 8 6488 5583 • M +61 (0) 432 324 708 • E natarsha.ba...@research.uwa.edu.au

I acknowledge the traditional owners of the lands on which I live: The Whadjuk people of the Noongar Nation. I acknowledge their ancestors and pay my respects to their elders; past, present and future.