Thanks Alex and Jon for posting. Hoping that our large group or guests will
feel free to make posts about their own thoughts and work.

Alex the ubiquity of capitalistic surveillance is also present in the US
worksplace in fact within lives of staff workers prepandemic, as early as a
couple of years ago. University computers within staff offices were monitored
for activity on social media:  Facebook, Instagram, etc.  Our own staff member
who monitors our department Facebook page was called in for “more time than
necessary on the platform.”  I would  say during pandemic times that the our
computer cameras, zoom technology, and Canvas applications has incited the
technological mechanization of being on or off work.  It all blends together
now.  The staff and faculty work, teach, manage from home with computers,
cameras, applications like zoom and canvas, people soft and a host of other
management and financial tools to monitor the on/off of its employees, how long
they are working, and at what time.

I heard from a collegue in China that she felt like a captive in her tiny
apartment.  Her movements were tracked via her cellphone.  She was forced to
keep her cellphone next to her because if the cell phone was left unattended
for more than fifteen minutes she would receive a notification from a work
application.  She reported that she felt that she needed to shift the phone to
different places in her apartment every ten to fifteen minutes to avoid her
preceived inactivity.

My Korean students who returned to Seoul reported that at the airpost they were
toggled to an app that monitored their movements.  They had to stay within
their apartments and were unable to leave until the time of their quarantine
was finished.

What I am curious about is if you all think we can go back to before Covid
existance without webcams, zoom, and tracking surveillance.  My hunch is that
at least in the structures of corporate university life the realization is that
covid existance has proved that life can go on with less staff and faculty,
larger classes, less one on one interaction, less classrooms and real estate,
etc, etc, etc.

Anyone care to share their own experiences?  Thanks again Alex and Jon for
bringing this thread up for discussion.  Renate

Renate Ferro
-empyre- soft-skinned space
Curatorial moderator