Hi Renate, All,

Yes—thank you for your prompt. I enjoyed reading the list during the first week
and do see (joyful!) parallels between interventionist tactics and the works I
will mention here. There are projects throughout the book Judy and I are
working on that creatively reimagine, undo, or expand technologies through
social engagement and participation. I’ll share a few of them here:

In the Magical Machines section, Lauren Elder showcases The Art Bank, "a
repurposed, ‘trickster' ATM machine [which] served as a media kiosk showcasing
a collection of creative work by teens, their college mentors, and an animated
short. The animation pairs Lauren Elder, the project director, with a Hopi
youth who submitted his artwork by mail from Arizona State Prison, where he was
incarcerated for hitting a cash dispenser when it failed to return his card.”

Dalida Maria Benfield writes about a VR project for the Expansion section: "VR
Utopia is an iterative, experimental virtual reality space for knowledge
exchange and collaboration for the global community of artists, designers, and
transdisciplinary researchers of the Center for Arts, Design, and Social
Research (CAD+SR), co-designed with design researchers M. Eifler and Evelyn
Eastmond (Microsoft) and a focus group of CAD+SR.”

Joseph DeLappe shares a body of work in the Re-imagination section: "Woven
through all of the works described is a keen sensibility of engaging issues
surrounding memory, violence, peace, and social justice. Such projects have
involved either the creation of temporary, large scale low polygon sculptures
and installations created on site with local communities/collaborators;
internet based engagements including an early experimental global sing-a-long;
and a series of crowdsourced rubber stamping projects to intervene with
political symbols on cash.”

I know Margaretha has either just written or is about to write to the list, so
I will leave this short(er) in anticipation of her post.

My best,
xtine