Hello all,

Welcome to the May, 2021 discussion on -empyre- soft-skinned space.  This month
we welcome Patrick Lichty, a long-time moderator with -empyre-. Patrick has
been teaching in the UAE for the past four years and has recently moved back to
the states accepting a position at Winona State University.  A warm welcome to
Patrick and we look forward to this month’s discussion.

Paul Virilio, in Speed Pollution, said that Real-Space is giving way to
Real-Time. This expands from his work in Art of the Motor, in which
transportation is collapsing space to where communications technologies, like
Twitch and Zoom, are further collapsing time.  This turns communication back to
the synchronous; away from voice mail to the site of, “You have had to have
been there.”  Facebook live broadcasts, TikTok streams, and Twitch.tv
communities privilege the real-time experience over the temporally mediated.

Yet, the existential space of real-time is in, the Massumian sense, deeply
affective.  The constant stream of ad extem existence calls to be constantly in
the moment. The “moment”, is that moment when the body encounters the impulse
of the event, to which is has to assimilate and then emote.  But in real time,
this moment does not allow for assimilation, it is the constant moment of the
impulse, or impulsive. This can be likened to “flow”, or the quality of being
“in the zone” of 2021’s media culture.

I will be introducing our guests this week and their biographies tomorrow.  If
anyone would like to be a guest this month please write to Renate back channel.
 Of course we welcome all of our participants to be active this month as well.
Thanks. Renate

TO ACCESS THE WEBSITE AND FIND OUT MORE ABOUT –EMPYRE-:
http://empyre.library.cornell.edu

TO MAKE A POST TO THE SUBSCRIPTION LIST ONCE YOU ARE A SUBSCRIBER:
empyre at lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au

 TO ACCESS THE ARCHIVE:
http://lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au/pipermail/empyre/

Connect with us on social media