Thank you Johannes!

I do agree with you!

Dubai has 'opened up’ so to speak and in many cases it seems like business as
usual – the ‘flow’ of traffic and labor has returned and is moving through the
city (in fact, it hardly left). Here in this city, even if we aren’t facing a
stillness of time in terms of strict lockdown, it does feel like a strange
time-warp because we are still missing a lot of ’time-markers’ - for those who
work from home: when does the weekend begin? When does the work day begin? What
is rush hour anymore? When do I ask my employer for vacation days when the very
concept seems laughable at this point? With Dubai being an expat-heavy city,
there’s the endless wait to visit ‘home’; for borders to reopen in many parts
of the world. Not to mention an internal slowness we experience as a result of
fatigue and sorrow in this catastrophic time in history. Almost all the news we
consume here as expats is about the situation ‘back home’ where devastation and
lockdowns continue. This is also disorienting because all the information we’re
constantly consuming is about a certain suspension of time, while our physical
reality here is quite different and ’sped-up'.

I think that this stillness and slowing down that we feel internally on a
personal, individual level is in conflict with the way the city is spoken about
in the commercial context or even in the way technology is advancing to
compress time: apps to ’speed’ things up, ‘hyper-loops’ in the near future,
‘express delivery’ etc. And because we are incessantly receiving this in
mainstream media both consciously and unconsciously, I wonder how it impacts
us. Could it induce a feeling of guilt for 'slowing down'? Does it lead us to
believe that ‘fast’ is the ideal state and any ’slowing down’ is a failure on
our part? Or on the contrary, is ’slowing down’ in the face of the accelerated
’smart-city’ almost liberating?

I’ve used Dubai as a starting point only because that’s where my immediate
observations begin, but I aim to look at this conflict of time in a universal
context say between the personal vs. the commercial experience of the city, the
online vs. offline.

I’ll hold on to this thought without deviating too much and will think about
impulse a little further :)

_____

Shama Nair
Bombay Institute for Critical Analysis and Research

7 Sandhurst House
Mereweather Road, Colaba
Mumbai 400 001 INDIA
i...@bicar-india.org<mailto:i...@bicar-india.org>