From: empyre-boun...@gamera.cofa.unsw.edu.au
[empyre-boun...@gamera.cofa.unsw.edu.au] On Behalf Of Simon Biggs
[s.bi...@eca.ac.uk]
Sent: 11 March 2009 09:19
To: emp...@gamera.cofa.unsw.edu.au
Subject: Re: [-empyre-] Poetry and/or poetic

I am arguing that all language, being a discrete system, is effectively
digital, using an expanded definition of language here, including all human
languages as well as other phenomena.

I am not employing the word digital here limited to its use in computing but in
the sense that any discrete system or phenomena can be described as digital.

The question remains whether it is possible to signify without or beyond or
prior to language. It is unclear if this is possible, but there are certainly
cases where it is unclear where the significatory origin of an event lies.
There is probable value in taking a relational approach to this, considering
all signification to be a function of the relationships between things and that
meaning cannot arise where there are no relationships (can anything be situated
without a set of relationships?). These relationships (which may themselves be
divisible) are discrete (this is probably a tautology) and so are functionally
digital systems. Similarly, poetics indicate the dynamics of these
relationships. Poetry is a very specific case which I am not addressing here.

I am not that familiar with Badiou’s writing. I am rather comfortable with the
orthodoxies of postmodernism and apprehend the Zizek’s and Badiou’s of the
world as over-bearing in their certainties. In your reference to his writings I
am not sure what you are intending to mean when discussing an event and its
relationship to our finite rules. What finite rules? In what sense breaking
away? Aren’t events the dynamic interaction of things, occuring as a result of
their relations? How can something escape those relations and be at the same
time of them? I don’t think I understand what you mean here – unless you are
seeking to consider these things as a politic. I doubt the value of totalising
an apprehension of human interaction and applying it to other kinds of
relationships, although I might be tempted to attempt the inverse.

Regards

Simon