gh comments below:

On Jan 4, 2010, at 9:01 AM, John Haber wrote:

> Want a moral or two to make sense of this? One is that in the past it
> was plausible to set a strategy to avoid complicity. You could set
> yourself apart from commerce, or you could embrace it as a storyline

My collaborative group Artists Meeting has a piece called Artists
Meeting Art Machine. It's an automatic art machine that's made for
art fairs. You purchase a token, put it in a slot and the machine
randomly selects an art work either a drawing or a small object. The
piece is actually a transactional art work that deals with the public
and is specifically made to critic the market within the
marketplace.    We recently exhibited this at the Pulse Art Fair in
Miami and hope to travel it to other places.  Here's the url if
anyone is curious.  -- http://artistsmeeting.org

This work does function just as John says. It also has some other
"implicit" meanings.  The aesthetics of choice are taken away from
the purchaser. It's amazing how people have been geared to walk into
a gallery and snap into an aesthetic choice mode. They equate the art
experience with shopping.  You know, do I like this? does this appeal
to me? Does this reinforce my viewpoint of the world and my social
position etc..  The Artists Meeting group mans the booth and explains
to people who ask what the machine is that it's a DIY hack. They also
explain that although choice is taken away the element of surprise is
given to the purchaser.  It's an attempt to give the creative
surprise and discovery that an artists finds naturally when making an
artwork.   The piece is actually not about the objects it dispenses
but about the whole situation.