Simon,

I agree with your post, wholeheartedly.  But would add an extra
emphasis to your statement and suggest that it might be a "bad" idea
to deny the contingency of relative axes of value.  Sometimes, there
is a tendency to push art into purely aesthetic or purely moral scales
of relation, and I think there is something important about evaluating
the relationship between aesthetics and ethics.  It is find to impose
a separation between form and content, as long as people acknowledge
that this itself is a word-game.  The beautiful and the grotesque are
never purely aesthetic, but they are expressions of ideas, social
relations, philosophies, etc.  I think there is something great about
engaging and arguing over questions of values that can lead to
progress, provided, of course, there are certain values to which
people are going to accept (either willingly, by hammering out a
minimal sort of social contract, or through coercion, simply imposing
them).  It is a hard-handed approach to social existence, but social
existence is what we make it, and if we don't make it widely
agreeable....  then it will be, as it is today in most parts of the
world, increasingly disagreeable (and even murderous).  The disengaged
view (which says there is nothing to agree upon, so just worry about
yourself) is increasingly ugly.  There might have been a time when
being venal and trivial was considered brilliantly clever....  but
today it just seems obvious.  Early on these moves might have conveyed
an unpleasant truth about art's complicity...  but I think this is
something that most people kind of understand (that artists, styles,
ideas are promoted by institutions in accordance with market logics).
And I think this is why you see such a bloom of great works that
convey such a strong desire for sketching out and cultivating a social
consciousness, that might start with a foot in the art world, and
might make use of those institutions, but which yearns for something
else (see, for instance,
http://vectors.usc.edu/index.php?page=7&projectId=57).  In some cases,
this desire for social existence is not even political in the
conventional sense (I recently sat in on a children's workshop
sponsored by the Minnesota Center for Book Arts
<http://www.mnbookarts.org/aboutmcba/aboutmcba.html> and spent some
time in the Robot Store in Michigan <http://www.826michigan.org/>,
both of which are examples of a wider interest in teaching communities
how to make...  More importantly, they teach people that art is not
something you appreciate....  it's something you use.

Take care.

Davin