Hi, Johanna et al!

First off, I must say that I enjoyed David’s re-branding post immensely.  In
particular, the trope of re-branding is absolutely loaded—especially within the
context of Business Art and the fraught relationship between art and
advertising.  I know that Johanna is quite interested in the history of the
graphic arts, and, from my firsthand experience as a writer for various NYC ad
agencies, can testify to the critical connection between (re)branding and
Creative Departments, where graphic artists, writers and creative directors
oversee the presentation and perfection of concepts to the public.  Here, the
wild, varied orthographies of Dada and Surrealism become so many Banners,
newsletters and billboards, Breton and company achieving a complicity with a
future throwaway culture in which Kiki of Montparnasse sells violins, and where
Rrose Sélavy’s perfume bottles are the hit of Bloomingdales.

Within this context, the word ‘concept’ looms large, calling to mind first and
foremost the Hegelian identification of the idea as realized concept.  For me,
this notion recalls the realized concepts of Conceptual art, the one art form
which has filtered through this dialogue as the place where theory and praxis
meet, however dissonantly (although, here, the idea is not so much an ideal, in
the Hegelian sense, but is more of what results when concept confronts
world/reality through irruptive event).  Everything from Hans Haacke’s
Shapolsky et al to those fab Jenny Holzer diodes quietly assaulting slot
machine junkies and high-hair mafia princesses at Las Vegas’ McCarran airport
in the 80s as they retrieve pink suitcases from the baggage claim.  And then,
of course, there is the perennial and pervasive use of the word in ad agencies,
which are largely concept-driven, even when we see them via Darren Stevens on
Bewitched.  Here, ‘concept’ is both noun and verb, something one develops and
the very act of development or conception itself.  “How are you concepting
that?” is a question that still makes me laugh when I hear it, the same
response I emit to the use of ‘party’ as an action verb by Eddie Murphy or
others (“My girl wants to party all the time, party all the time, party all the
time…”).

But the concept is very much at stake for all of us on this forum, whether we
are Sally Jane’s Over-identification Squad, or a Donald Judd box humming purple
notes in the corner.  Of all aesthetic movements, it is conceptual art which
works the hardest to expose complicities—Chris Burden’s excavation of La La
Land’s MOCA is a paradigmatic instance.  And yet it is also the zone of the
conceptual where important complicities flower in their own right, so many of
them social, sexual —the marriage of Jeff Koons to La Cicciolina, or the
relationship between Björk and Mathew Barney.  The work these connections have
created truly amazes me, all those racy photos of La Cicciolina with her glass
dildoes, and the potential work that Matthew and Björk will perform with fauns,
satyrs, and Cremasters if, unlike the Koons, they make it.

Michael Angelo Tata, PhD  347.776.1931-USA
http://www.MichaelAngeloTata.com/