Hey, everyone, thanks so much for such a fantastic month of discussion. I have been very interested to see how the discussion has focused this past week on the place of research within the fields of arts and the humanities. As the director of a humanities institute, I am constantly reminding my scientific colleagues of the central important of our research mission to that of the university. But rather than apply our subject matter to the common good, our research mission frequently involves continued critical reflection on the very terms of the "common," "good," and research itself. Curiously,just before Simon Biggs made his post on Sunday, I spoke to him and others assembled for a workshop I sponsored on "critical mobilities" at Cornell about the continued importance of Martin Heidegger's 1954 denunciation of university "research", in "Age of the World Picture," for its rapidly developing repetitions of funding models and scientific projects whose self-willed continuance is too divorced from critical reflection on its terms, its aim, and its ground in what Heidegger calls "erudition." The current British extension of this research machine in the UK, mentioned by Simon and Sarah, to necessitate justification of outcomes and social impact seems to be nothing less thatn the realization of Heidegger's worst fears.
While the University system seems to have had no difficulty comprehending and justifying the social good if its research of advanced military weapons, dubious economic systems, and far ranging surveillane practices, it so easily calls to court practices in Tactical Media (thinking of Nick Knouf's account of the rejection of his research application, not to mention Ricardo Dominguez's current situation). Many thanks as well to Mark Bohlen and others for prompting us to lend an equally critical eye to our own practices, whether Tactical or otherwise, which could be led by University culture to blend into a kind of bland complacency in which the terms and consequences of our research practices might distance themselves for continued critique and critical reflection.

We'll be announcing May's topic later today, which will begin tomorrow. It's a striking coincidence that, while we evolve into the next discussion, "Process as Paradigm," ( to be led by guest moderators Susanne Jaschko and Lucas Evers, in conjunction with their exhibition by the same name at Laboral), Ricardo Dominguez will be continuing the process of his legal "process," as he informs -empyre- today:

Hola all,

The 2nd "investigation" meeting will take place tomorrow Cinco de Mayo at
10am at the Visual Arts Chair's office - same place as last time. I do not
know how long the meeting will go - but the lead legal consul will be with
me and so will Chair Kester (as a silent witness).

What the support communities would can do - you can meet us in front of
Chair office at 10am or join Digital Marcha starting tonight and all day
tomorrow or both.

The Digital Marcha would be Sending a Short or Long E-mail of support of
b.a.n.g lab/EDT's projects starting tonight and all day tomorrow.

The E-mails would be SENT to ASVC Burke who is leading the "investigation"
into b.a.n.g lab/EDT's VR Sit-In performance of March 4th, 2010:

Stephanie Burke - shbu...@ucsd.edu

Abrazos,
b.a.n.g lab/EDT and me

--
Ricardo Dominguez
Associate Professor

"Another University is Possible"

Help restore democracy to California today: http://www.CAMajorityRule.com

Visual Arts Department, UCSD
http://visarts.ucsd.edu/
Principal Investigator, CALIT2
http://calit2.net
Co-Chair gall...@calit2
http://gallery.calit2.net
CRCA Researcher
http://crca.ucsd.edu/
Ethnic Studies Affiliate
http://www.ethnicstudies.ucsd.edu/
Center for Iberian and Latin American Studies Affiliate
http://cilas.ucsd.edu

Hemispheric Institute of Performance and Politics,
Board Member
http://hemi.nyu.edu

University of California, San Diego,
9500 Gilman Drive Drive,
La Jolla, CA 92093-0436
Phone: (619) 322-7571
e-mail: rrdoming...@ucsd.edu

Project sites:
site: http://bang.calit2.net
site: http://gallery.calit2.net
site: http://pitmm.net
blog:http://post.thing.net/blog/rdom
site: http://www.thing.net/~rdom

I suppose this comment from Marc is exactly what I was trying to get at by using myself as a case study in my earlier post. I see my role as engaged in redefining the edges of the research I am undertaking, through my own practice. I am aware that other students and researchers look at the methods I've used, and the 'outcomes', to structure their own investigations in the field. That implies some kind of responsibility, which I'd like to think all creative practitioners within universities share. In the UK, our latest Research Assessment Exercise (RAE: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Assessment_Exercise>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Assessment_Exercise) called on our work to be evaluated according to Originality, Rigour, and Significance. All vague and wishy-washy terms, but what's coming sounds even harder to evaluate -- Impact: on society, on economy, on policy, even on quality of life. How big are the knots we are going to have to tie ourselves into to claim that our art projects have impact? This discussion list would serve as evidence in the case of bang lab's work. I'm going to have to befriend many more journalists, and make my outcomes more marketable. Urgh. I digress, but self-awareness of how artistic production is valued within the university research machine is indeed something to learn and share our individual experiences of.
As Beatriz wrote:
"The "problem" that arises is that suddenly all the work has to be presented as "research" and once something is called "research" the outside expectations as to what that is, what function it should fulfill and within which boundaries it should operate really change."
So are there tactics for managing expectations?
from a muggy morning in Ottawa,
sarah