Hi dears,

thank you very much for your feedback. It took some time to go through all the emails, but I did it.

I know that any discussion on what's art and what's not usually enters a dead end. I also know that the contemporary art world often works in a way that makes many people get away from there. One example that I know quite well comes from the video game collective Tale of Tales. Tale of Tales (http://tale-of-tales.com/) was founded some years ago by Auriea Harvey and Michaël Samyn as an indie game studio, and also as a way to escape the art world and confront themselves with a different audience. Both Michael and Auriea worked as artists and designers along the Nineties, playing different identites and rules. It would be easy to say that they stopped making art because they started making videogames, or because they started selling their works on Steam instead of on the art market. But it won't be true.

I don't like the expression "framed as art". I know it's difficult to say what art is, but I'm sure it doesn't depend on a frame. I don't think that the batman piece will become art if we frame it as art. The batman piece talks just one language: the language of online interaction and entertainment. No fun adds a new layer to that - it appropriates an online genre, but it mixes the online jargon with another jargon - the language of contemporary art. It doesn't want to entertain an audience, it wants to provide a veritable portrait of a community. It turns the double screen interface of chatroulette into a powerful image. It makes us think about us, about death, about fun and online relationships. This meta-level is something absent in the other pieces. It's, of course, full of references to art history (yes, velasquez!) and to video art and performance art history (Bruce Nauman, Chris Burden). And of course, it's made by people who consider themselves artists and it is "framed" as an art piece. These things (ALL TOGETHER) made me think about this piece of online video as art. These things (ALL TOGETHER) made me consider Paul Davis' nintendo hacking as art, and other game hackings as something different. Only on this basis we can say that Tale of Tales' games are art in the sense a work of art is art, or that they are art in the sense a videogame is art. The following step is social agreement: other people talking the language of art have to accept it as an art work. And the last step is certification and attribution of economic value. Daniel wrote:

> And this strikes me as a major difference between games and much of what goes as art. Games work. They are utilitarian tools. You can have a functioning game or a broken game and it is not merely a matter of taste or education or external validation. Games either create the internal value structure in the player or they do not. They are exactingly engineered to drive a particular emotion and we can sample a large enough population to determine if they are success or not in their stated functional purpose. A functioning game has inherent value. It does not need to be certified or discovered or framed.

I don't agree with this. Art works as well, and has an inherent value as well. It does not need to be certified or discovered or framed. But it does need it in order to survive in time, because this process, like it or not, is a premise to the process of preservation of a work of art. It is the way the contemporary art world keeps the meme alive in time. To buy an art piece is like to buy a videogame: the difference is that a videogame can rely on a stable industry and be distributed in thousands of copies, while a work of art relies on a little niche and is sold at an high price to one or a limited number of persons.

A last thought about something Paolo wrote (talking about alex galloway):

> He critiques the lack of interactivity in game art, and argues that interactivity is the essential quality that makes video games different from any other experience.

I'd just like to add to Paolo's criticism that game art might not be interactive, but it is the result of the best form of interaction at our disposal: the one that doesn't follow the rules for interaction of a given system, but invents new rules to interact with it.

Bests,

---

Domenico Quaranta

web. http://domenicoquaranta.com/