Marc,

I think you hit the nail on the head: "Perhaps It would be more
appropriate to introduce small, human-scale initiatives which include
individuals and groups, according to their own needs and shared
resources, and then build from there. As far as I am concerned
(personally & with others), this has already been happening in regard
to furtherfield and other forms of networked peer production, and
independent community ventures, on-line and off-line."

I think that the hope for a successful, mass, grassroots awakening
seems to be a remote one (mainly because most people in the world are
already awake to the need for change, but lack power).  If being aware
of inequity was enough, the billions would have changed the world
already.

But the possibility of localized interventions is incredibly appealing
to me.  It's hard not to find little bundles of people working
together, sharing skills, providing goods, etc. that create their own
currents.  Where I live and work...  a small town in an economically
depressed region....  there are many, many troubling facets of
existence.  But there are also networks of people growing, sharing,
producing, trading food.  There are people making objects and art.
There are various cooperative endeavors taking place that aren't built
around a culture of economic predation.  This doesn't solve all the
problems in our community, but if these patterns of activity are
nurtured and the ethos of mutual support spreads, then the ability for
these simple solutions to offer at least partial alternatives to the
monolithic Super Wal*Mart at the edge of town.

Alongside these almost intuitive practices, however, there needs to be
a philosophical basis for action, and this philosophy should be
engaged in dialog with the practical, not simply imposed upon it.
Aside from the practical matter of keeping one's hands busy or putting
food in one's belly....  a way of thinking needs to accompany these
practices.  And that, I think, is the greatest obstacle.  We have no
patience for dialogic cultural processes.  We are in the habit of
consuming things as they appear and forgetting them when they go away.
 And, while certain models of community necessitate more long term
thinking, we also need theories that encourage us to think about
history and the future, to plan, to reflect, to be "human."

In turn, it is the ability to slow down and think, which enables more
productive forms of organization.

If we want a historical parallel, it might be something along the
lines of a transition from hunter-gatherer to agricultural society
that we are looking for.  The widespread proletarianization of the
world's people has robbed us of our ability to build culture.  But, if
we are able to, locally and efficiently, provide or supplement basic
human needs....  we carve out space and provide the fuel for enriched
consciousness....  if we cooperate, we not only have more time as
individuals to think, but we are in cooperation with others, and thus
have more opportunities to network our consciousness via culture.  If
we have more opportunities to think better collectively, we can, in
turn, create more time for cultural activity, which is tied very
closely to practical production  (here, I am very interested in the
break between Techne and Poesis, which Cynthia points to, as craft is
increasingly independent from concept).

My worry about strictly web-based models of community is that they use
time and allow for thinking.....  but they don't necessarily create
more time for thinking by producing tangible goods of the sort that
can provide material sustenance for the community.  (Though,
programming cultures are an exception to this general observation, as
are established institutions which deal primarily in intellectual
property).  Which is why your point about the small scale (especially
offline and/or intellectually-committed) ventures is a real occasion
for hope.

Davin