From: Mathias Fuchs <mathias.fu...@creativegames.org.uk>

> I would suggest to call something an augmentation of reality only
> if it is a consciously introduced element of our environment that
> we believe to be unreal.

Hi Mathias!

Nice to hear from you :-) A few questions for you:

What then are the augments that I create for the Bushwick AR Intervention last year, which feature photographs of real people who I believe do or did exist?
http://mission-base.com/tamiko/AR/bushwick.html

Or the "Newtown Creek (oil spill)" object, that is derived from a creek that I believe really does exist?
http://mission-base.com/tamiko/AR/newtown-creek.html

If I understand your definition correctly, either these are not real or I should not call them "augmented reality."

All our AR objects are signs, which may signify things we believe to be real and other people believe to be unreal, or vice versa. If I do not believe in Jesus and make a virtual object that refers to Jesus this would be in your definition AR. If however someone else does believe in Jesus and makes a virtual object that refers to Jesus this would NOT be AR, in your definition.

By the way, I would define a hologram on a bill as being "real," and certainly not something imaginary and made up. Can you explain why you say it is unreal? It is not a 3D object in a physical sense of having mass and measureable extent, but we perceive it as a ghostly 3D form - and this perception of a 3D form where none exists physically is the real physical phenomena and nature of a hologram.

Is a painting real but a projection not real? Isn't visual phenomena real - and therefore any AR object also real? Are perhaps these not the correct terms to be using when talking about AR and VR, even though both terms use the word "reality" and therefore bring us into discussions about what is real and what is not?

take care, Tamiko