Wow Patricia this is amazing. I'm still reading through it. I'm such a huge fan
of Bollas by the way.

One could, in OOO terms, imagine Bollas's objects as part of a region of what
Harman an I call sensual objects, which inhabit the interzone between things.

Or as Marcia, my new (and sadly about to retire) administrator says, "Art
happens in the liminal space between things."

Tim

http://www.ecologywithoutnature.blogspot.com

On Jun 16, 2012, at 7:20 PM, "Clough, Patricia" <pclo...@gc.cuny.edu> wrote:

> [...]
> come to mind with queer, feminist, postcolonial, anti-race, debility
> theoretical/political formations  but there also are troubles which are
> before us,  feminist neoliberalism or  pink washing and queer, for examples.
> Politically, institutional arrangements are much more complicated than
> identity politics sometimes presented itself as being  in the demand for
> subject  recognition  which led to decades of debate on the truth of
> representation and the deconstruction of  the authority of discourse with a
> hesitancy  to reference the real in support.   Here a certain
> Althusserian/Lacanianism played a weighty part  and then add   Derrida
> Spivak Butler Foucault Berlant, Sedgwick  and more. For many of us this work
> has been a go to intellectual and political resource for some time.  Clearly
> these authors  put philosophy  intimately
> n play with a politics (often  Marxism, and then Marxism plus) that was
> easily felt in their work.   In  OOO/SR , this tight connection is less
> obvious if there at all.  What I do not want to overlook however is that
> OOO/SR came when the former (not necessarily the thinkers themselves) was not
> easily working as an intellectual resource in the face of several issues:
> what to be said about political economy except to say again and again
> neoliberalism or even biopolitics (even though I keep saying those);  what is
> to be said about subjectivity and the unconscious after deconstruction and
> along with a profound transformation in social media;  what is to be said
> about the human, the organism as figure of life, about matter  after
> posthumanism and with the development of various technologies we should call
> biotechnologies (but now all technology seems to have always been) or even
> more incredible nanotechnologies?  What to say about the persistence but
> varied forms of racism oppr
> ssion exploitation?  How to let all this feed back to rethinking our
> philosophical assumptions?
>
> I think that for some of us OOO/SR made us think again about the intellectual
> resources for our work and how to address some of the questions I just raised
> by turning us to ontological issues beyond constructivism asking us to
> critically address the assimilating act of human consciousness embedded in
> most of our materialisms (thus the new materialisms and  a recent paper by
> Liz Grosz on matter and life is exquisite here) .  This new materialisms
> comes in part as a response to recent developments in technoscience  and as a
> social scientist (of sorts) I am so aware that social science leans on
> scientific assumptions if not ideals that need updating to say the least. But
> I think this is the case for many of our materialisms. This rethinking of
> technoscience including digital technologies has in part raised interest in
> OOO/SR   and  that is the case for me.   But I am not sure that  the elective
> affinity between  digital technologies,  the growth of computational studies
 al