Green grass seems harder to find, yes. Half the country is under water and the
grass fails to grow. The wrong kind of rain...

The closure of a London university will probably happen. Will there be more to
follow? The government has said as much, encouraging privateers to take over
failing public HEI's and for others to merge. This process is already under way
in Wales. In Scotland the FE sector is going through radical restructuring,
with Edinburgh's four colleges merging into one and the same happening in
Glasgow and elsewhere. HE is not immune to the dynamics impacting FE.

Edinburgh is a city of 450,000 people with four universities. Only one is of
international standing. One is of national standing. Two others are, at best,
regional institutions. There is clearly over provision. I imagine in 5 to 7
years there will be two universities in Edinburgh, one international and one
regional. I expect similar rationalisation at the national level and even at
the international. Things like Coursera point towards this eventuality, the
coming together of international universities to create global brands.

I don't think this is a good thing but it does seem inevitable. The strategic
conversations I hear indicate that those who are planning for the medium to
long term have these developments firmly on their agenda. They are considering
things on a global scale. The oldest and most prestigious institutions have
always done this, in their way - so there's nothing new there. Why are we
surprised?

best

Simon

Sent from a mobile device, thus the brevity.

Simon Biggs
si...@littlepig.org.uk
s.bi...@ed.ac.uk
http://www.littlepig.org.uk