dear all

thanks for the replies, and Paolo probably will forgive further excursions into
rehearsals ( from point of view of theatre or choreography, in relation to a
politics of (games)design, particularly since I am not a Boalologist (?) and
have never worked with those techniques myself, so I just began to read into
them some ideas that, for me, have to do with social choreographies, action
(not game action), but also ideologies of design practices, issues of and in
education, and also the role of what you refer to as indie or counter design.
And i think we all agree that art doesn't change reality too much. Now Norah
brings up the question of "score" -

[Norah Zuniga-Shaw schreibt"]

Delighted to have the conversation going on this month as I try to sort out my
own relationship to gaming via my practice as a dance improvisation artist and
collaborator on many computer graphics projects. Johannes, I wonder what your
opinion is of the relationship between improvisation scores (especially those
that are tight structures that create system-like results, I'm thinking of Nina
Martin's "One Idea Scores" and such) and the concept of gaming?
Thanks! Norah

and there would be much to say, i think, given the current emphasis in (dance)
research on "score" and "scoring" , both regarding choreographic practices,
working methods, collaborations and articulations (publishing dance i.e. laying
open the grammar and organizational methods these choreographers use in
composing and realizing work, sort of an open source choreographic movement
that also launches these new and varied publications in print and online (like
your "Synchronous Objects project, Norah, with William Forsythe, and then there
is Forsythe's new "Motion Bank" under way), but also regarding the ambivalence
we might read into score (as we also use the term in music) as notation or
notational system / design vis à vis open systems that drive improvisatory play
or energies & exchange  (and changing/shifting constellations when dance or
performance happens in real time with various augmenting technologies, changing
the "architectural space" as Andrea Bozic and Julia Willms think of their
dance-scapes when they work through cameras, shifting POVs, sampling and
re-projecting/deconstructing elements and dimensions of a movement
narrative.......

I think task-oriented dance (but also Forsythe I suppose, given his interest in
mathematics / computation)  since the 1960s Judson Dance Theatre collective,
was interested in a kind of algorithmic organization of movement, and Trisha
Brown and Lucinda Childs and others may have also thought of these algorithms
as a tight structure -   and I always used to think of games needing rules or
they would not be enjouyable and meaningful games and would not even function
when you have teams or soloists play against each other. (I still think so,
especially after seeing Xavier Le Roy try to hack into the rule system and
devise a plan for a performance ["Project", 2004]* where two teams are playing
a mixture of games against each other, four different games i think, and the
players are encouraged to mash up the rules or change the particular game
"direction" spontaneously at will.

This latter example is of course interesting from the point of view of
"rehearsals" of rebellion where you allow the participant (not the designer) to
be an actor-changer, an agent of a collective or part-communal process of
intuitively proposing/enacting "rules" or bending the Beckham curve ball so
that others can enjoy accepting and playing along or re-modifying,  This as a
choreographic principle of alternate organization i would love to discuss,
please tell us how Nina Martin does it, and I will write further on score.
(the journal issue i am working on, contributing to a new issue of
International Journal of Performance and Media Art, edited by Scott
deLahunta/Sarah Whatley, is dedicated to documentations and scores, and the
artists in it have built a section called " 77 Choreographic Proposals:
documentation of the evolving mobilization of the term choreography."

It's the mobilization or deconstruction of the systemic that interests us here,
and in theatre (and engineering), i would think there are numerous fascinating
parallels or developments that could interest those of you working primarily in
games and games design.  I will try to write something tomorrow on the score
for "Open Score," the incredible piece that Robert Rauschenberg devised with
Billy Klüber for the 1966  "9 Evenings of Theatre and Engineering,' at the
Armory in New York, and his core choreography (planned), was a tennis game,
whilst his intermission play (also planned but improvised, with hundreds of
extras invited in from the street) was a social choreography with political
undertones which I find remarkable, and Goran Sergej Pristas, of BADco. in
Zagreb, a few weeks ago gave a very provocative reading, an ideological
critique, of that event and the infrared cameras they used for filing the
"masses" in the dark and rendering them ghostly visible, on that tennis court
in that theatre of engineering........which I might try to reconstruct for you.

It seems at least to me that a discussion of game design might benefit from
such historical/artistic experiments as much as from looking also into certain
kinds of ethnographic or films / psychogeographies (just saw Patrick Keiller's
"Robinson in Ruins" a few days ago and it haunts me still).

respectfully

Johannes Biringer
dap-lab
http://www.brunel.ac.uk/dap

*
see my “Dance and Not Dance,” Performing Arts Journal 80 (2005), 10-27.