Dear all,

I'm a recent lurker (from 2011 I think) and have posted a couple of times.
Thanks for everybody's effort in making this list a continuous flow of
ideas.

A formal biography lives here [1]. I'm a PhD student at Goldsmiths
University of London, supervised by Atau Tanaka and Matthew Fuller,
researching within a project funded by the European Research Council. I'm a
Creativity + Technology = Enterprise fellow at Harvestworks, with the
support of the Rockefeller Foundation. As Ben, I'm a FOSS and Open Hardware
advocate, and work almost exclusively with free tools.

I'm a practicing performer, with a strong interest in critical creativity
and the body. I use technology as a means to tinker with the physical,
biological, cultural body and its expressive capabilities. In my work I
research and design custom technologies, specially wearable and interactive
biotechnologies. The latest instrument I created is the open and free Xth
Sense [2], a musical instrument that enable a performer to make music in
real time by sampling and manipulating bioacoustic sounds from her muscles
tissues.

At the moment, I'm touring with the latest three performances [3] composed
for the Xth Sense, and very recently have collaborated on a large-scale
biophysical dance project with artist Heidi Boisvert which premiered at
EMPAC last May [4].

Writing is an integral part of my practice [5]. Perhaps the most relevant
readings could be my first complete discussion of biophysical music [6] on
the Leonardo Electronic Almanac, and the online journal issue I was editor
for at eContact!, entitled Biotechnological Performance Practice [7].

As for my PhD, I research new musical instruments and practices. We are
working on combinations of sensing and machine learning technologies that
use the changing physiological mechanism of a player to achieve an
always-in-process interaction with the musical instrument. The instrument
and performance design is grounded in body theory, so to understand the
cultural, if not political, impact of using and acting upon a musician’s
body in a public performance setting.

Thanks for reading, look forward to learn about you all,
best wishes,

[1] http://marcodonnarumma.com/bio/
[2] http://res.marcodonnarumma.com/projects/xth-sense
[3] http://marcodonnarumma.com/works
[4] http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/810499941/radical-signs-of-life
[5] http://marcodonnarumma.com/texts/
[6] http://www.leoalmanac.org/vol18-no3-incarnated-sound/
[7] http://cec.sonus.ca/econtact/14_2/

--
Marco Donnarumma
New Media + Sonic Arts Practitioner, Performer, Teacher, Director.