Hello friends!

Still reading regularly from a distance here, if more separated from empyre by
the shifting demands of life and work.

Here at the University of Illinois, still plugging away at several long-term
collaborative projects:

- A history of the role of film in America's rise to nuclear power (online
interactive archive and written work in progress)
http://complexfields.org/ongoing-projects/nuclear-film
- A new research lab aimed at understanding how people perceive, consume,
resist and influence their shared infrastructures.
http://infra-center.illinois.edu/
- A new graduate study and research lab aimed at interrogating "the system" as
a metaphor for understanding both the subjects and process of academic labor
around new technologies http://seeingsystems.illinois.edu/
- Starting this Fall I'll also be working for our Humanities Center to
coordinate discussions and workshops about the future of scholarly authorship
and publishing.

More at complexfields.org<http://www.complexfields.org>.

Thanks for all the hard work here everyone! I look forward to returning more in
earnest soon. A longer bio follows.

- Kevin Hamilton

Kevin Hamilton is an artist and researcher with the University of Illinois,
where he has served in the New Media and Painting Programs since 2002. He also
holds appointments in the Department of Media and Cinema Studies, and the
Center for Arms Control, Disarmament and International Security. At Illinois
Kevin serves as a Co-Director of the Center for People and Infrastructures in
the Coordinated Science Lab, and leads Learning to See Systems, a new
interdisciplinary research and training effort funded through the Graduate
College. Beginning in the Fall he will also begin a new appointment as a Dean’s
Fellow in the College of Fine and Applied Arts.

Kevin’s research-based artistic work spans the domains of Public Art, New
Media, and the Digital Humanities. Long-term collaborative projects include
historical and theoretical work on the history of interface representations in
mediated violence, with a special emphasis on government-produced films related
to nuclear weapons development. This research also includes the creation of
experimental interactive works for accessing deep multimedia archives.

As an educator, Kevin is focused on integration of practice-based and
theoretical approaches to learning about technological mediation. This work has
included the development of several interdisciplinary project-based courses and
workshops for students from the sciences, arts and humanities, with emphases on
prototyping, reflection, and methodologies of collaboration.

Recent artistic work has included a commissioned public project on the history
of cybernetics for the State of Illinois at the Institute for Genomic Biology,
a performance at Links Hall Chicago on racial and religious histories of the
Colorado Rockies, a comic book on local race histories for the City of Urbana,
Illinois, and a collaborative video about telephone communication for the
ASPECT DVD series.

Recognition for his work has included grants from the National Science
Foundation and National Endowment for the Humanities, presentation at
conferences across Europe and North America (ISEA/ DEAF/CAA/NCA/ACM-SIGCHI),
publication in edited journals and anthologies (Routledge/CCCS/Palm
Press/UCLA), and invited residencies (Banff/USC-IML/Bratislava). He holds a
Master of Science in Visual Studies degree from the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology, and a Bachelors of Fine Arts in Painting from the Rhode Island
School of Design.

On Jun 28, 2013, at 2:26 PM, Timothy Conway Murray
<t...@cornell.edu<mailto:t...@cornell.edu>>
 wrote:

Thanks so much for posting, Roberta.  We're delighted to hear from so many
lurkers whose posting have verified the extent of the reach and presence of
-empyre-.  We'd love to hear from even more lurkers!  Best wishes for the
summer.

Tim

Director, Society for the Humanities
Curator, Rose Goldsen Archive of New Media Art
Professor of Comparative Literature and English
A. D. White House
Cornell University
Ithaca, New York. 14853
From: