Oron,
could you please say a bit more about these years of testing the notion of
'semi-living',  and placing it (cultures, cells, that which you thought of as
semi or between, needing a link to technological care) into art
context/installation context and thus linking it to aesthetics? (also the
discourse of so-called bio art which is an art discourse and not a scientific
one, would you say?).

Perhaps this is also where the political and ethical question arise, or the
question I tried to raise last time, about the banalization/trivialization of
science - that was a question addressed to Adam Z and his comment on fascism, I
find particularly interesting  your statement that the semi-living project
requires a removal of it [what is the it?  the cell?] from a body or context,
the latter now being assumed dead or excised, yes?
And the caring now is addressing a biotechnological system and an interface
that needs nurture (in exhibition, it also needs explanation, justification,
and new contextualization as the cellular project may not be apparent - as art,
as object, as science, as process -- and visible and intuitable to an audience.
It may not be apparent nor justifiable?

The design, then, to follow my comment on the "fashion reference" in "Evolution
Haute Couture", becomes the runway for the thing to live and display itself and
justify itself.
What are your thoughts on semi-living design, and the linkage you have made
between lab and art gallery/museum, and between lab and the wider,
philosophical or political thinking on systems/systems theory?
Has the discourse, in your opinion, delved sufficiently into this important
question of care, and what analogies to performance/body art, if you think of
the work of Sarah Jane Pell, do you see?

regards
Johannes Birringer

[Oron schreibt]
So yes, if bioart would exist, as in if artists working with life and
attempting to impose some kind of wants onto living systems - the ethics of
care is undoubtedly, implicitly or explicitly embedded in the practice. At
least temporarily until care is no longer needed - you can call it death...

[Oron schreibt]
... for all intents and purposes we started with something which was dead meat
(the half rabbit's heads) but the cells were alive, growing, proliferating and
doing what cells do (in culture- outside the context of the original body of
the rabbit).  Are these cells living in the same way that the dead rabbit was
24 hours earlier? We realized the even though tissue culture was going on for
more than a hundred years, we had no cultural language to deal with this
experience. And if we do not have that, can we have any ethical reference point
to deal with these fragments of life?  If we name them semi-living would that
change anything?
We spend the last seventeen years trying to figure that out.