From: empyre-boun...@lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au
[mailto:empyre-boun...@lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au] On Behalf Of Nell Tenhaaf
Sent: Wednesday, 11 September 2013 7:30 PM
To: soft_skinned_space
Subject: [-empyre-] ah, aesthetics

----------empyre- soft-skinned space---------------------- Hello everyone,

Oddly, aesthetics has become one of my favourite topics even though I come out
of the 70s "postmodern" and otherwise busted-open art moment. when it was the
last thing anyone wanted to invoke. My feeling is that we will get hamstrung in
seeking an aesthetic for bioart (or a-life art, or any of the marvellous
outlier practices of the past decades) if we drop back to, say Kant - as
comforting as that might sound. This came up in the context of a TOCHI
(computer-human interaction) special issue I was part of a few years ago, on
"aesthetics of interaction", which had a lot of good thinking about Dewey's
pragmatist aesthetics that keeps real world deployment in view, and in general
focused on ways of designing experience or interfaces to engage multiple kinds
of embodiments and types of events. One commentator lamented than in the whole
issue, the heavyweights of aesthetic philosophy were nearly invisible. It was a
bit of a shock - although if the concern is to legitimate some kin
   d of practice or set of practices, then yes, not such a surprising comment.
Can't we legitimate at this point if we need to, via practices that we feel
have a kinship in their kind of renegade approach to asking questions? - this
reminds me of Rob Mitchell's comments about performance art as a key precursor
to bioart, linking it with human/non-human population interactions - and it
also links up to often physical risk and lots of good subject/object
permeability.

all best,
-n