I just awoke from Zhuangzi’s Butterfly Dream into the “empyre”an, thanks to
Tim and Renate. Out of blissful “panic” since this is my first time to
encounter the empyrean, I come to see the world as a globe with my eyes.
The eye is in fact the eyeball which looks like a globe. Nietzsche once
said that men are “deeply immersed in illusions and in dream images;” and
“their eyes merely glide over the surface of things and see forms.”

I am tempted to open up the issue of rethinking of the eye/gaze in terms of
the ontological concept of “medium” before Tim Murrayan “reflecting on the
shifting ontologies of film, screen culture, and global media.” During next
week at Busan from Oct. 7-12, I hope I am able to observe how BIFF
Conference and Forum represent and demonstrate the “convergence of media.”

My basic understanding of the eye/gaze dichotomy is from Jacques Lacan who
suggests that the eye and the gaze is the split. The function of the eye is
to see, while the gaze deceives the eye. His autobiographical story of
“Petit-Jean” demonstrates that the gaze is outside in the object when the
subject sees with his eyes the thing-object out there. His classical tale
of Zeuxis and Parrhasios tells us the issue of “deceiving the eye”
(tromper-l'œil), i.e., “A triumph of the gaze over the eye.” In short, the
gaze deceives the eye from the invisible side of the light which is truth
but in veil. However, Lacan is interested in the “laying down of the gaze,”
“dompte-regard” or taming of the gaze.

This double gaze of deception/abandonment in the form of moving image
(camera eye) can represent the unconscious of the subject by revealing the
epistemological potentiality of the unconscious truth in analysis. I would
argue that the camera eye becomes a derivative manifestation of Lacanian
aesthetics of the gaze, the aesthetics which transforms itself from the
images of the hoop nets representing the unconscious to the topology of the
klein bottle representing a new way of projection which transgresses the
borderlands of the inside/outside region of the uncanny unconsciousness.
Your new young empyrean friend,
Youngmin

--
Youngmin Kim, Ph. D. in English
Professor of English, Dongguk University, Seoul, Korea