Thanks Tim for encapsulating Youngmin's session.

One of the themes of the Busan Film Festival Forum has been the convergence
of contemporary cross-disciplinary interests with time-based media and
film. I concur with Tim that the striking absence of new media and
technologies influences is definitely noteworthy.

How dramatically our notion of the screened surface has changed because of
technological innovation and distribution shifts.  The dynamics of screen
size alone has had a huge impact on cinema.  Now we can watch moving images
on hand-held devices as small as our smart phones and i-pads, on computer
screens, or larger format cinema display televisions. That in turn has
affected distribution with venues such as Netflix, HBO, Showtime, even YOU
TUBE in the US.  Today these distribution networks not only distribute
films but also produce them.  The expectations that all movies will come
out on the big screen is not a given.

While the VCR tape and the DVD affected how viewers consumed movies ten to
fifteen years ago, now the distribution networks make it easy to access
material with simply a computer to access big-box film, independent cinema,
TV series, or socially networked moving images.  Many even bypass
legitimate distribution accessing pirated copies.

 The addition of sound technology has also affected the reception of moving
images.  No longer simply a directionally left or right channel but now
sound that is complexly layered to create three-dimensional sound
environments that simulate real experiences.

At this year’s Venice Biennale it was apparent that the moving image and
soundscape was appropriated by national pavilions where cinematic
productions were being screened within the scope of an international art
context.  Entire pavilions were crafted with two, three or four cinematic
screening spaces where the work of artists (and their production teams)
were shown.

One of note was the two channel Ari Sala’s “Ravel Ravel Unravel” a
two-cinematic and sound spectacle.

http://www.designboom.com/art/anri-sala-french-pavilion-at-venice-art-biennale-2013/

Ari Sala writes ‘my intention, is to make a space resound consecutively to
the temporal gap between the two performances; to paradoxically create an
‘other’ space in an environment conceived to annihilate he sense of space
(by suppressing echoes)‘.

 One of the things I can’t help think about as a new media artist who uses
both found/archived and new moving images is the impact and power that the
installation space has on the image being screened. While some cinemaphiles
may lament the loss of the revered movie theater, I see the flexible
interplay and manipulation between architectural space, projected image,
directional sound and viewer's response within the space to open up
exciting possibilities.

The consideration of scale is an important one to tease out especially ias
it is relational to budgets and funding sources. New media artist's are
master's at creative fund sourcing.  With the DIY capabilities of Final Cut
Pro film and sound editing can be done by the film maker/ artist  herself.

 More to write about tomorrow but I am hoping that others will see threads
to pick up on.  These are just a few things I have been thinking about
these past few days.

 From Busan, Korea

Renate

--

Renate Ferro
Visiting Assistant Professor of Art,

Managing Co-moderator of -empyre- soft skinned space
http://empyre.library.cornell.edu/