At a talk tonight at the Chelsea College of Art in London I was reminded that
John Berger wrote his seminal Ways of Seeing in 1973. That is a good 40 years
ago, and it is 40 year of acknowledging and working with the fact that seeing
is ideological, political, cultural and social; that it is inflected by class,
gender and economics. And yet, when 40 years later it comes to Ways of
Listening, we pretend, or some of us do at least, that scrutinizing the
ideological and political aspects of listening or sound, which are bizarrely
and uncritically mixed up at times, it is somehow either not possible or
desirable or manifests a betrayal of a purer state.

I see Seth's desire " to sprinkle sand in the gears of the cultural-industrial
machinery" also as my desire to critically consider listening maybe not to hear
better, but to get to understand the gears that drive listening and make us
hear a truth that is just another word for bias. Then listening becomes a
socio-political tool not just to listen but to make a different "sound".