Dear Semitransgenic

In order to penetrate the epistemological bubble of Christoph's post, I suppose
one would have to have read folks like Nietzsche and Deleuze and Foucault and
Derrida and De Landa and Christoph himself. This would allow one to connect the
shorthand of this discussion group post to the deep philosophical debates to
which it refers. In the absence of such reading, researching, and thinking, the
rather carefully considered and wholly precise language could easily be
misconstrued as vague and reductive.

By the same token, one would have trouble assessing the value of the no hitter
that Clayton Kershaw, of the Dodgers, threw yesterday against the Rockies, if
one did not know, for instance, that it was the first time in major league
history that a pitcher struck out at least 15 without allowing a hit or a walk;
or that following his teammate, Josh Beckett's, no hitter, this was the first
time teammates have thrown complete-game no-hitters in the same season since
Burt Hooton and Milt Pappas of the 1972 Chicago Cubs. It would also add to
one's understanding of the event if one knew that Kershaw's performance
computed the second highest Game Score in MLB (Major League Baseball) history.
Then, I suppose, it would be helpful to know that Game Score, developed by
baseball statistician, Bill James, follows this formula: start with 50 points;
add 1 point for each out, 2 for each completed inning after the fourth and 1
for each strikeout; subtract 1 point for each walk, 2 for each hit, 2 for each
unearned run and 4 for each earned run.

Too bad art-speak is so unusually hermetic, catering only to the initiated
elite. Ultimately, all this jargon just amounts to so much "inside baseball"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_baseball_(metaphor)).

>From the dugout
Seth

www.kim-cohen.com