thank you, lyn, for bringing up the topic of space in these conversations.
 the study of specifically gendered spaces is new to me, and i greatly
appreciate having my brain be nudged forward in this direction.  i of
course have no answers to the questions you bring up -- i'm sure i will
continue to slowly gather my thoughts in this area.

as for the idea / question of sound being seen as gendered, my initial
thoughts were that yes, sound is perceived as gendered if it comes from a
visible body in space, and/or if the source is known.  but even if the
source is known, and not seen in space, does the source carry gender; to
what extent can or does gender carry from invisible to visible sound source
in space?  and in thinking about silence as sound or source, it seems with
silence we begin to migrate into the sociocultural, as it feeds between and
within gender, race, and sexuality.

i also agree that the "blank white box" is not the best / only solution --
in this reality these blank white boxes exist perhaps exclusively in
high-art institutions, and our reality as human beings is not abstract
enough that we can strip away context (of space, of humans) entirely.  very
glad to now know of christina kubisch's consecutio temporum: how she
explores these existing sites seems much transparent and true to its
history / ecosystem.  still so much to mull on regarding sound, space, and
light, with regard to the last few questions that lyn has posed here ... i
am excited to think about these for a good while.

speaking of light, i might give a connecting nudge back to asha's bringing
up of the minimum/abstract as more a form of feminist, cultural, and queer
expression in another thread ... but the week is done!  quick thank you to
everyone -- much to think about, and the semi-real-time nature of the past
week was too fast for my mind to process all that has been said.  thank you
monisola, rachel, lyn, and asha, for the conversation, and to renate and
tim, for having us at -empyre-.  i have no doubt these discussions will
continue!  thank you.

--
CPARK

blanksound.org