HI everyone

Thanks to Sue and Simon for the invite - I have been traveling and not able to
read all the posts over the last few weeks, but I note from the unread number
on my Empyre list mailbox that the discussion has been vigorous - I look
forward to going through them in due course.

I have never the less been able to keep up with some of the discussion and have
been wondering in the discussion over the last week about cognition - for our
experience is always mediated through conditioning and learned patterns.  Like
Andy Clark (2009), Cowley talks of ‘‘biosocial organs permeated by history’’
(2002).  It is the History part here that I reflect on - I wonder how we
situate our thinking when it is sooo complex to become aware of the point of
reference we establish.  I wonder this because I want to find where the virtual
begins?

recently a friend shared with me a small experiment probably known to all of
you:  Please silently read the following several times - "I can hear the voice
in my head reading this sentence"

Which made me think about how virtuality is inbuilt - there appears to be
several of me: me reading, me listening, me observing the listener and
critiquing the experiment, me in physical form seemingly hosting all of these
facets of the self etc - and they all seem distinct and material in some way -
so there appears to be at least 4 of me and therefore I am confused perhaps
about which is what - ie. where the no-virtual and the virtual transition and
which me is embodied and how?

Malafouris via John Sutton comments: "if cognition is distributed as well as
embodied, then explanation in cognitive science must often highlight more or
less transient extended systems spanning embodied brains, social networks or
resources and key parts of the natural and the cultural world. These key parts
of material culture are not simply cues which trigger the truly cognitive
apparatus inside the head but instead form ‘‘a continuous part of the machinery
itself’’, as ‘‘systemic components the interaction of which brings forth the
cognitive process in question’’ (Malafouris, 2004:58).
see Sutton, John. Material Agency, Skills and History: Distributed Cognition
and the Archaeology of Memory for more discussion on

It seems we come back to Machinic Assemblages alla Deleuze and Guattari - as
both social and self

so where exactly is the virtual? or the embodied?

Cheers,

Garth Paine
gpain...@me.com