Dear Johannes,

Thank you, it would be great if we could continue the discussion.

 I got thinking about my World cup soccer piece  'Intimate Irrelevant Moments'
jackysawatzky.net/single_cappuccino/   and the relationship it has to this
topic. None, was my initial thoughts;  however, as I got typing these thoughts
came up.

In my work I was interested in the mediation of the viewers experience, and
effect HD camera technology had on the representation of the players and the
game. I conclude that  High Definition images leave less space for the
imagination and have the potential to give an assumption that  what the viewer
see broadcasted is not really virtual. What do the viewers need to do to get
back their imagination? Herein I saw an important roll   for the space and
place wherein the World Cup was watched.

Harun Farocki made a work about World Cup Soccer,
http://www.farocki-film.de/deepeg.htm also from 2006, the same year I did mine.
He looks at the various ways the game is contextualized. On one of the 12
screens on display there is an abstraction of the game, dots representing the
players and lines their  connection, as well as the data derived from this  a
computer analyzes of the game.

Thinking about his work, top sports has through the onset of digital technology
an interesting relationship with embodiment and the virtual. As each athlete
presents an extreme embodiment of  their sports discipline, though along side
there is  a virtual body , data _video, statistics, motion capture data_
collected through all kinds of tracking technology. This virtual body is there
to assist in elevating the athlete slightly above their physical 'limitations'.
 In the moment of performance, the virtual embodiment needs to be translated
back , taken ownership off by the actual  the athlete. She or he needs take
ownership of their virtual representation to come to a top performance.

 Any thoughts , experience with this, work that touch on this?

In a next post I will reply to your question in regard to the camera and
embodiment, as I saw Sue Hawksley recents response and want to take some time
to read her new posts and look at the links, and reflect.

Thank you for listing.

Regards,
Jacky Sawatzky

Artist

Models of Observation

http://jackysawatzky.net

https://vimeo.com/videovectors

"The convergence of media, which is an inherited quality of the computer, has
become unappealing. It reminds me of processed food where if I eat alfredo
sauce or tandoori chicken mix, I always feel like my taste buds are confined
within the limits of the chemicals used to preserve the food, by the
conventions of an mass-produced taste of tandoori chicken or alfredo sauce. I
came to the conclusion that the normalization of the senses is the commonality
between processed food and the computer screen." Screencozies