It has been quite exciting to read the exchanges and I am now quite curious
about this turn in the conversation. I apologize that my previous reply was
lost in transit before I left the US.

Meanwhile, I spent the last two days at the International Institute for
Applied Systems Analysis in Vienna for the International Symposium on Next
Generation Infrastructure, which was fascinating for a number of reasons.
But, with respect to the comments above, it is especially illuminating...

Of course, there is no lack of positivism in the current big data turn, but
there is also, I think, a clear understanding of how far along we are in
the algorithm-driven reality of the contemporary city-planet. It is
absolutely necessary to confront this reality as it is the water we are all
swimming in. To imply it is political or not largely misses the point
because (to appropriate Latour) nothing is *reducible or irreducible* to
politics. That is, every aspect of the reality we encounter can be made a
matter of politics. This is a kind of work common to organizing and
theorizing, and with regard to the data-driven reality of our city-planet,
it is remarkably underdeveloped.

I hope we can bring some of these questions together in the Data Made Me Do
It symposium we are organizing at UC Berkeley College of Environmental
Design *13-15 March 2015*. I'll post the full program to the list once we
have it, but I hope it can be a productive event for developing some of the
questions about the potential for data politics as a strata of interventive
research in the Anthropocene.

in sol. from Vienna.

etienne

--

Etienne Turpin, Ph.D.

Director
anexact office
Jl. Sumbing 17  DKI Jakarta  Indonesia  12980
+ 62 819 08830664
etie...@anexact.org

Vice Chancellor's Postdoctoral Research Fellow
SMART Infrastructure Facility
Faculty of Engineering & Information Sciences
& Associate Research Fellow
Australian Centre for Cultural Environmental Research
Faculty of Social Sciences
University of Wollongong  NSW  Australia  2522
+ 61 422 464369
etur...@uow.edu.au