Such a rich and complex post, with many points of resonance to earlier posts!

I think Alexander’s reference to Chaitin’s “Omega” number really needs some
underlining, since I suspect most of us aren’t too familiar with the concept. I
was only informed of its existence a year back, and while I can’t pretend to do
any justice to the complex idea, I must say that I think proper understanding
of it would likely prompt serious soul searching for those involved in the
ontological foundations of computing.

To the best of my knowledge (I would love a better explanation), Chaitin’s
Omega is a number made up of random digits that cannot be computed, or put
another way, there is a *process* to create the number (a list of computer
programs that “halt”), yet it cannot be *computed* (it cannot be computed
because you can never know when any one program will “halt”). Chaitin aligns
this interesting computational result with physics, suggesting (against
Leibniz) that some things do indeed occur without sufficient reason. Similarly
with mathematics, it too has an infinite number of facts that cannot be proven
in any reducible way. Saying that something is “irreducible” (be it
computational, physical, or mathematical) is, according to Chaitin, akin to
saying that it is not rigidly, (reductionist) “scientifically" knowable. Still
knowable, but only “quasi-empirically”. So, here’s the rub, and the link to our
earlier discussions (especially during the week on MATERIAL): computation is
“quasi-empirical”. We were calling it “sub-phenomenal” or “sub-medial", but is
this a limitation of human perception, or a limitation of the subject matter
itself?

I’ve probably butchered this all. Apologies: it’s well above my pay grade, but
for anyone with the stomach, Chaitin does a good job of describing the
technical specifics in this Scientific American article from 2006:
http://www.umcs.maine.edu/~chaitin/sciamer3.pdf

~Quinn

— iqdupont.com