For the fourth and final week of the exciting month on digital objects, I offer
the following provocation on our theme, MEMORY:

“I hesitated // before untying the bow…” so begins William Gibson’s unravelling
of his youth, his relationship to his father, his draft-dodging (Agrippa). A
fitting material metaphor for a digital memory that would require cracking
cryptographic code to untie; memory encased in code. Gibson’s poem is thus like
our myriad digital detritus: snapshots from holidays, videos of cherished
family events, but also “sexting” and pornographic home video sent to loved
ones while away (and if you are famous and female, subject to hacking by those
cruel males at /fappening). But, digital objects don’t just produce mementos
(an archive—as cultural feedback? Ernst, 2002), they also aid thought and
memory, a part of the long history of rationalization identified by Bernard
Stiegler (most recently, 2011;2012;2014). According to Stiegler, we’ve
encountered waves of Weberian rationalization at the hands of digital code: the
first was the invention of alphabetic writing, the second was the invention of
printing. Similarly, in Of Grammatology Derrida was enamored by the discovery
of other digital codes—the discovery of evolutionary memory in the form of DNA
and the so-called cybernetic revolution with its looping feedback. Later, and
just as famously, Derrida would point directly to the archive; but, with the
prevalence of “born-digital” objects, have we moved beyond the decidedly
material, fixed sense of “archive” as a noun (Kirschenbaum, 2014)? Working
through this provocation, from October 26th – 31st we might explore questions
such as:
* If not mementos or rationalization, how else do digital objects shape our
mnemonic lives?
* If “the Internet never forgets,” how might be create an amnesiac? And should
we?
* The method of loci (or “memory palace”) was an ancient mnemonic device that
associated a discrete figure with a mental idea. To the protest of the ancient
Greeks, this method was largely made obsolete with writing. Digital objects—the
iPhone as outboard brain—seem to cast another stone against this old method,
but in a post-human future, how might we resuscitate this form of memory?

Our excellent discussants this week are:

-Mark C. Marino-

Mark C. Marino is a writer and scholar of digital literature living in Los
Angeles. He is an Associate Professor (Teaching) at the University of Southern
California where he directs the Humanities and Critical Code Studies  (HaCCS)
Lab (http://haccslab.com). His creative works include
“Living Will,”
(http://markcmarino.com/tales/livingwill.html)
“a show of hands,”
(http://hands.literatronica.net/src/initium.aspx)
“Marginalia in the Library of Babel,”
(http://www.cddc.vt.edu/journals/newriver/07Fall/marino/)
“The Ballad of WorkstudySeth,”
(http://www.springgunpress.com/markmarino/markmarino/seth/)
“@occupymla,”
(http://markcmarino.com/wordpress/?page_id=117) and
“Reality: Being @spencerpratt”
(http://betabeat.com/2013/01/how-the-hills-spencer-pratt-became-an-unlikely-participant-in-a-complex-piece-of-twitter-performance-art/).

He is an editor of Buzzademia, a Like-Reviewed scholarly journal for
Buzzfeed-style scholarship. He was one of ten co-authors of 10 PRINT
CHR$(205.5+RND(1)); : GOTO 10 (http://10print.org). He is the Director of
Communication of the Electronic Literature Organization
(http://eliterature.org). His complete portfolio is here: http://markcmarino.com

-Attila Marton-

Attila Marton is an Assistant Professor in Information Management at the
Copenhagen Business School. His overarching research interest addresses
questions about the future of our past and the changing structure of social
memory brought about by the particular characteristics of digital objects.

-Christian Pentzold-

Christian is a Post-Doc researcher and lecturer at the Institute for
Media Research at the Technische Universität Chemnitz and an Associate
Researcher at the Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet &
Society, Berlin. His work is based in communication research and
sociology and it links to insights coming from economics, linguistics,
socio-legal studies as well as science and technology studies. He has
done research in the fields of computer-mediated communication, media
policy and regulation, creative industries, media cultures as well as
qualitative media analysis. Currently, his projects thus look at
convergent multimodal discourse, internet-assisted cooperation,
governance of digitally networked environments, mediated memories and
the exploitation of entertainment programs like television formats and
social games. In spring and summer 2015, Christian is going to be a
Visiting Research Fellow at the Department of Culture, Media &
Creative Industries, King’s College London.

-Sean Rupka-

Sean Rupka is currently a doctoral student in the department of Political
Science at the Graduate Center - City University New York. Focusing on the
imbrication of trauma, memory and history, Sean’s interdisciplinary work draws
on film, literature and historical theory to discuss the politics of trauma as
it relates to the (in)coherence of modern subjectivity, and the political
implications of trauma’s transmissibility. Sean has presented multiple times in
this area, drawing from a range of films covering genocide and warfare, the
works of Kafka, Blanchot, and Walter Benjamin discussing both reconciliation
and legacies of resistance. He has a forthcoming publication on the conceptual
history of philosophy.