First of all, thanks for the invitation. I am very much looking forward to this
discussion.

As it comes to digital objects and memory, there is so much to talk about, it
is really difficult to find a point of departure. In particular, it seems to me
that memory (as a concept) can be used to talk about everything and anything,
since it combines past experiences with future exploits, identifies self and
other and, ultimately, constructs sameness into difference. I believe that
memory (or rather social memory in my case) is a very engaging topic and
concept in terms of gazing into the deeper structures of the fabric of society.
This is particularly true when it comes to the rise of the internet and
digitality. And Quinn already mentioned one issue that is highly relevant; does
the internet forget?

I think that this question by itself shows how far the human condition, marked
by the memories we share, is intertwined with our very own technologies.
However, viewing this intertwining through the lens of memory reveals, I would
say, a surprising and, perhaps, counter-intuitive conclusion. Forgetting is not
the same as deleting and remembering is not the same as storing. Indeed, one
can remember that one has forgotten something or forget that one has
remembered. One can remember what once was forgotten and, of course, forget
what once was remembered. Memory is the interplay between remembering and
forgetting that is, at its roots, highly self-referential [1]. Deleting and
storing, on the other hand, is a quite trivial and straight-forward process.
Admittedly, the internet does not delete but stores whatever comes in binary
form as data. But that is a way of forgetting. "Dis-membered" into 0s and 1s,
heritage and its artefacts are re-membered through the emulation of
recognizable cultural heritage artefacts (i.e. digital objects) and momentary
renditions of order. Storing as binary data means to forget cultural heritage
in the form of (meta-)data. Indeed, I would say that the internet (because of
its binary-based mediation and datafication) is an infrastructure of forgetting
and it requires an immense amount of effort to "re-member" bits and bytes into
forms that are culturally recognizable (rather than simply recalled) [2].

[1] Esposito, E. (2002). Soziales Vergessen: Formen und Medien des
Gedächtnisses der Gesellschaft. Frankfurt am Main, Suhrkamp.
[2] Foerster, H. v. (2003). Understanding understanding: Essays on cybernetics
and cognition. New York, Springer. pp. 101-132.