Jon, an interesting parallel between your post and the below passage which
through some form tries to deal with the often visual "spectacularity" of
modern violence, time and distance disappearing, the *there* collapsing
into *here* through a "movie script," a cartoon or a sports game.

"From hashassins and anarchist bombings to drone strikes and YouTube
beheadings, modern terror develops within a global network of increasing
density and resonance. Terror one sees “over there” suddenly is here,
collapsing space and time and with them one’s points of reference.

One morning preparing to teach at NYU, my mother called from Florida saying
a plane had just hit the Trade Towers. I hung up and turned on the TV,
transfixed for hours. Eventually I got up to our roof on 103rd and later
downtown to the smoldering site. The air in the subway and streets was
laced with a moist dust, an entire city terrorized, seized for days then
weeks by anthrax attacks, a third plane going down on Long Island, and
blaring, unending sirens. The terror slowly passed, the shock not. It
waits. A friend—a major performance theorist who’ll go unnamed
here—confessed seeing the first tower burning and thinking it was a film
shoot. "

From

*Eleven Septembers Later: Film Lumiere*

My mind miniaturized

into a card deck

collapsing by opposing dreams

miniaturized giant in my mind

"don't worry

just a dream,

of childhood"

cowboys and indians Dick Tracy

Napoleon

sacrifice for a giant cause

my mind miniaturized

twice one more for the road

going the whole way

twins both reach home base

"good work kids"

my mind miniaturized twice

first as nightmare

second as a joke

"I built the towers to stand being hit by a 727"

But I forgot the heat.

"I sacrificed myself for God"

but I forgot the kids.

read during the September 11 Memorial Reading at The Poetry Project, St
Marks Church, NYC

    The visual precedent of *Vigilance* is photography, born in the middle
of the nineteenth century, the time when The United States starts its
progress as a commercial empire, and the rapacious, fertile producer and
consumer of visual language. The space created by photography/ film lumiere
has an unconscious, to its viewer reflecting, revealing the dreams,
aspirations, fears of her teeming population. Superimpositions of different
media –film, T.V., the web and words emanating from them- on photography,
which film lumiere is, creates a unified field/space which is prophetic. It
tells America’s sense of herself and her relation to the other. It has no
past, present or future, but a continuum folding sinuously on itself
reflecting to the viewer through time what happened and will happen:
America’s ego expanding, the world turning into her lake, while
simultaneously, in this contracting space, in this miniaturization, the
other, as the independent it, hurtling into a collision. The binary,
conflicting structure of film lumiere is exactly that. It is redolent with
the crushing anxiety, the meteor gravitational inevitability, of the
approaching other. The web, for instance, the supreme *a*symmetrical tool,
where time and space are at the mercy of a click, creates the illusion that
anything can be converted into anything, that gravity, the process by which
objects hit the ground, does not exist; while making that space more
vulnerable to those forces.

    *Vigilance* cuts into that space, forcing the reader, us, to see,
through its disruptive rhythms, the guilt, the responsibility pock-marking
this self-referring self-love."

Ciao,

Murat