Continued from Part 1
__________________
In many ways things have not changed much since that 1994 text, except that now
video is part of new media, the screens are everywhere, Skype and Facebook
consolidate our mass-solitary-confinement in the ways predicted by Günther
Anders (before Guy Debord).

Most of my art activities, often around video-art, dealt with “heavy topics”:
audience passivity, the Shoah, male violence, television indoctrination - and
as Jon McKenzie brought up the term this morning, I directed the short
performance piece “Telepathos," broadcast live on the Learning Channel with the
artists Nancy Buchanan and Shalom Gorewitz.
For more than thirty years I have taught media production, often emphasizing
self-reflexivity - that was the term back then -  and Brecht’s distancing
effect. Now, six years after a form of brain reboot (a brain hemorrhage), I see
the busyness of many of our concerns to be just “stuff.” There are important
exceptions but they are rare: Joshua Oppenheimer’s recent film "The Act of
Killing" is one such example.

Growing up with a father who was a well-known artist-photographer, I was
surrounded by photographs and images; now, I am suspicious of them, even while
I capture images of abstraction.

I still feel compelled to keep track of the news, as hard and violent as it is.
Good news barely exists; subtlety and non-violent media take too much time, and
they don’t sell.

For me the question that remains is whether there is something that can be done
about the violence that surrounds us beyond being concerned, signing petitions,
writing & doing artwork.
I have no idea at this point but I am willing to try.
Pier Marton

P.S.: Si puedo hacerlo voy a escribir en español et j’essayerai autant que
possible d’écrire en français aussi. Ha van valaki aki akarja holy magyarul
irjak is, akkor meg probálom ugy is ini.

Pier Marton
P.S.: Si puedo hacerlo voy a escribir en español, et j’essayerai autant que
possible d’écrire en français aussi. Ha van valaki aki akarja holy magyarul is
irjak, akkor meg probálom ugy is ini.
PM_uoʇɹɐɯ_ɹǝıd —> http://piermarton.info
School Of No  Media —> http://schoolofnomedia.com/
About —> http://about.me/piermarton