[image excised]

dear all
tomorrow our lab team travels to Dresden to work with artists there on a dance
work that involves a real performer and her ghosted particles (particle physics
transformation) projected into an inverted egyptian looking pyramid [attached
illusion] and holography-stage (data from three kinect cameras, dematerialized
via Kalypso software into particles and rematerialized depending on body
energy). Our Dresden friends call the pyramid the "holostage" and
believe the avatar-projection can be reconciled, the background for this
holographic model is: the afterimage of our reality ( quantum physics in the
actual, according to Bohm' holographic model of reality). well.

On our travels we are taking two figurations with us for possible movement or
stillness ideas, choreographically;  both ideas at the moment strike me as
powerless, as yet, but that's where we are, at the beginning, so it's gonna be
a japanese ghost story  (Yuki-onna), and a story by jewish writer K.  – you
probably all know the parable, but it's full of (for me) yet unexplored
visceral transgressions, negations of the devil's contract, dépense (excess),
stilled envy, obscure faith, obscure revelation, and revelation also as
prohibition, i.e. religion and ritual knowledge?   We may use the voice for
the/a movement, not sure yet.

*   *   *

Before the law sits a gatekeeper.
To this gatekeeper comes a man from the country who asks to gain entry into the
law. But the gatekeeper says that he cannot grant him entry at the moment. The
man thinks about it and then asks if he will be allowed to come in later on.
“It is possible,” says the gatekeeper, “but not now.” At the moment the gate to
the law stands open, as always, and the gatekeeper walks to the side, so the
man bends over in order to see through the gate into the inside. When the
gatekeeper notices that, he laughs and says: “If it tempts you so much, try it
in spite of my prohibition. But take note: I am powerful. And I am only the
most lowly gatekeeper. But from room to room stand gatekeepers, each more
powerful than the other. I can’t endure even one glimpse of the third.” The man
from the country has not expected such difficulties: the law should always be
accessible for everyone, he thinks, but as he now looks more closely at the
gatekeeper in his fur coat, at his large pointed nose and his long, thin, black
Tartar’s beard, he decides that it would be better to wait until he gets
permission to go inside. The gatekeeper gives him a stool and allows him to sit
down at the side in front of the gate. There he sits for days and years. He
makes many attempts to be let in, and he wears the gatekeeper out with his
requests. The gatekeeper often interrogates him briefly, questioning him about
his homeland and many other things, but they are indifferent questions, the
kind great men put, and at the end he always tells him once more that he cannot
let him inside yet. The man, who has equipped himself with many things for his
journey, spends everything, no matter how valuable, to win over the gatekeeper.
The latter takes it all but, as he does so, says, “I am taking this only so
that you do not think you have failed to do anything.” During the many years
the man observes the gatekeeper almost continuously. He forgets the other
gatekeepers, and this one seems to him the only obstacle for entry into the
law. He curses the unlucky circumstance, in the first years thoughtlessly and
out loud, later, as he grows old, he still mumbles to himself. He becomes
childish and, since in the long years studying the gatekeeper he has come to
know the fleas in his fur collar, he even asks the fleas to help him persuade
the gatekeeper. Finally his eyesight grows weak, and he does not know whether
things are really darker around him or whether his eyes are merely deceiving
him. But he recognizes now in the darkness an illumination which breaks
inextinguishably out of the gateway to the law. Now he no longer has much time
to live. Before his death he gathers in his head all his experiences of the
entire time up into one question which he has not yet put to the gatekeeper. He
waves to him, since he can no longer lift up his stiffening body. [Der Türhüter
muß sich tief zu ihm hinunterneigen, denn der Größenunterschied hat sich sehr
zuungunsten des Mannes verändert.]The gatekeeper has to bend way down to him,
for the great difference has changed things considerably to the disadvantage of
the man. “What do you still want to know now?” asks the gatekeeper. “You are
insatiable.” “Everyone strives after the law,” says the man, “so how is it that
in these many years no one except me has requested entry?” The gatekeeper sees
that the man is already dying and, in order to reach his diminishing sense of
hearing, he shouts at him, “Here no one else can gain entry, since this
entrance was assigned only to you. I’m going now to close it.”

(Kafka, trans. Ian Johnston)

*  *  *

Johannes Birringer, Michèle Danjoux
dap-lab