Hello all,

>Johannes and Alan

Yes, in my previous post, I tried to reflect Alan's 'fragments' concluded:

'What I'm trying to present is the idea of an expulsion and an annihilation of
what's expelled. ISIS wants a purified caliphate with only believers;
non-believers are expelled or murdered. Could you elaborate on the rest of your
post? I'm trying to say then that the annihilation is that of the Other - the
Other isn't
permitted to survive, and with the death of the Other, the Other becomes
identified with 0.'

Apparently, the dangerous thought of ISIS and the other fundamentalists seems
in their notion of "X" and "0".
In my opinion, it should be "X" and "Y" instead. As long as I know and as long
as I can imagine, there is no "0" of human beings -even if after they get
killed.
Ancient Indians invented a great concept of '0' but it cannot be applied to
summarising or generalising humans/living creatures -they can not exist only by
themselves but they do in a complex amongst THE OTHERS and in the occasional
CHANGES of themselves and their circumstances -as Gregory Bateson claims.
Simply to say, our conditions are relative and ephemeral so that the math
formulas on us should not be so simple -at least they can not be consisted of
"X" and "0".

Additionally, I believe that even if you try to 'annihilate' THE OTHERS, it
should not be possible in a genuine sense since THE OTHERS you want to
annihilate have tons of ANOTHER OTHERS that THE OTHERS have left the traces,
memories, effects, DNAs and viruses on.

What are THE OTHERS to WHOM then? Is not it mere a systematic strategy of a
bunch of people who make up an aesthetic in order to encourage the people
'inside'? Why do humans have to have the notion of THE OTHERS -is it actually
our innate behaviour to try to eliminate THE OTHERS? Should our societies and
our recognitions be necessarily consisted of the dualities/polarities of
Figures and Ground (Gestalt) = Inside and Outside = Us and The Others...? If
babies should develop/learn by acknowledging how to define themselves and THE
OTHERS a prior as their nature, what kind of methodology is affective to create
a different point of view to the adults? This must be the point that many art
practitioners can speak something loudly.

>Johannes and Pier,

Powerless? Is it the write word really...?

Doesn't power exist anywhere (in our body, cells, societies, arts and galaxies)?
'War against war' does not make any good since the war against war is still a
war. So what is the 'ethically CORRECT' attitude for art practitioners? Maybe
there is no such a thing. As well as the examples you mentioned so far on this
mailing list, the Salt March of Gandhi, for example, could be a good example of
a slow/soft/'powerless' performance against an authority/power but what else
approaches can we think of -that was the starting point of my
moving/performance/installation 'Fuji-copo 102, Higashi-ogu, Arakawa-ku, Tokyo'
in 2011?

We might want to talk about POWER itself a bit, from the different points of
views other than theologies and politics, not necessarily artistically but, for
example, socially, physically, kinetically, psychologically, linguistically, or
as Alan suggested, logically and mathematically.

How would our bodies be if we became 'powerless' while we are 'against' any
kinds of forces such as gravity? How can we think about the power balances of
our right hand and left hand? How can we live without any power supplies for
our rest of our lives?

Just a brainstorm.

>Johannes

As you mentioned, I do not think Brecht's Distance Effect was my method in my
moving performance. I guess I used Proximity Effect -I made a
fiction/theatricality out of the absolute reality, rather than making an
awareness of reality out of fiction/theatricality. Maybe I just followed Brecht
in an opposite direction...?

Best,
Yoko