Apologies!! please replace..in my hurry I sent an unchecked copy w typos etc..
Please see below a little more coherent. Thanks. MK

Hello dear Empyre colleagues,

Forgive the delayed intervention. It is true that I am ‘legless’ at present,
but neither in a serious (it will pass) nor unfortunately in a more pleasurable
way. I have been considering the very interesting topic and reading your posts
with great interest, trying to find a point of intervention that might add
something without throwing the flow and exchange off kilter! I know Johannes
does an amazing job of holding the miscellany of approaches and discussion
threads into a rich weave of discourse.
I will take Yoko’s poetic lead and write more subjectively, where I feel more
secure about commenting on the subject of 'violence, terror and performance’.
If you will permit, I will take advantage of my slow uptake(!), to make a
shwyeh, shwayeh (slowly, slowly) introductory approach.

I wanted to start with quoting Kate Tempest interviewed by Jon Snow of Channel4
29 Oct 2014 at the Mercury Prize nominations
http://www.channel4.com/news/kate-tempest-mercury-awards-nominee

“Kate Tempest is a poet, a rapper, a playwright and a social activist from
south London. It is not that I am a particular fan of her music /poetry (rap),
but I know she is well loved and respected by her peer group (thus the award).
She was recently nominated for a Mercury music prize, and she has been speaking
with Jon Snow.” (transcribed by me:)
JS: "You’re an activist so if yr poetry could change the world what is it you
would like to change
KT: “we have become obsessed with these notions that the things that we carry
through life are the things that define us as people but they are not real,
only thing that  is real is,,not accolades, not anything but how we engage with
our fellow human beings and we have arrived in this very strange space where if
some fellow human being asks us for help, rather than responding we ttrreat
them w suspicion. If I could say anything to anybody it is to encourage
empathy, real empathy. There is horrible fear and ignorance festyering in our
own cities and towns and globally, the situation we have got ourselves in is
terrifying"

Empathy. I have been considering about this as a force for change, more an
more, however I have done so indirectly, through the practice and education of
Performance and Theatre. It has taken me awhile to dare to name what is
probably at the heart of much of my interest as academic, artists and  even (if
I optimistically identify with what someone has kindly called me), ‘an
educational activist', myself. I sort of knew the feeling that ran through all
of my enquiry, but I seemed to refused to name it, because it seemed too
obvious, too simple- simplistic perhaps.

Johannes mentioned that I was interested in poetics of live exchange and
convening creative ‘spaces' for this to happen- nothing new or original, of
course. Artists like Suzanne Lacey have been working with such forms for years
and to be sure, it is what we are doing here on empyre!  Cultural theorists
like Richard Sennet have written around this subject- esp his book ‘Respect’.

I suppose it sounds fairly generic- common to any academic community or social
group which sets up gatherings, seminars etc... As well as continuing to curate
many such gatherings, perhaps, what I have been attempting to do, is something
more particular to my professional and cultural background. By applying the
training and work as a performer, specifically in the matter of highly tuning
the *attention through the body and the visual image (through the body), and by
working on all the skills of ‘becoming present’, I believe one can ‘charge’ a
communal space. In such 'charged' spaces - whether through 'presence of mind of
the chair, or the context and surroundings etc.., much as it works at the best
of performance experience, I believe it is possible to facilitate open exchange
to occur in the present tense.

This I do because I believe that these can be spaces where the power relations
are equalised, where across disciplines, across cultures a non-hierarchical
exchange happens. I have tested this through many educational projects in
various cultural contexts as well as in my teaching over the last 25 years.  Of
course, what I have been interested in all these years can also be named as
‘spaces of empathy’. However, what I am referring to may have qualities of
therapeutic contexts, but since my expertise is not in therapy, but
performance, I tend to work with creative and critical dynamics.

Now for the subject at hand. I do find it difficult to comment with any deep
knowledge about the actions of the many political factions that appear to be
terrorising ‘ordinary and innocent’ folk- especially as highlighted in the
Middle East, at present. Not because I do not feel terrified and violated by
actions as others do, of  appalling acts transgressing our sense of what is a
civilised human.  However, I am also quite interested when I experience
something of the same feelings: terrified and violated, from actions of those
who are much closer to my relatively blessed academic, ostensibly peaceful
middle class British professional life..i.e. when I feel violence and terror
within my own community.

Whilst I do not wish to simplify, deny or diminish the anguish of those in
midst of atrocities as have been referred to in the discussions so far, I do
know that there is a shared threshold for these feelings. Once transgressed,
the degrees of intensity and tragedy vary, but the ingredient or evenas in
Raymond Williams' t 'structure of feeling'  may share some things.. And of
course, there are further thresholds. Metaphorical rape is a million miles from
actual rape etc..However, I believe there is also something in the dynamic of
action in its perpetrators, that is shared. Of course, again, all this is
nothing new, this is why we have the internationally agreed landmarks for
'human rights' etc.

I suppose, naïve though it might seem, I am interested in what there is in
common between the deranged, brainwashed, self proclaimed young ‘terrorist’
beheading another with his sword and for example the British politicians  who
sent young soldiers to ‘behead’ Iraq. Are/were they suffering from a similar
physopathology: an inability or refusal to exercise empathy. Ironic it is that
much of the recent examples have been in the name of religion (including Blair
and Bush’s 'hotline to god' syndrome), when empathy is supposed to be at the
heart of religious teaching of any creed.

And here comes the ‘performance' link for me, and I shall propose it here for
critique and analytical tussling:  (for me) the central and most affective
element of ‘Performance’ as a discipline and as an art form is the ‘making
present’ of people and ideas together as a space for 'live exchange'. Herein
lies the metaphysical formula to constitute, create, remember the empathic
relation. Empathy. (I am talking about embodied presence here, as I do not have
enough practice on this , about remote, mediated presence, but am open to
comments and discussion.)

I have tried to summarise my perhaps all too simplistic equation. Forgive me if
so and I welcome your thoughts.
Thanks for bearing w me and I look forward to any responses..and will write
more.

Best
Mine K
*see for e.g. The work of my once teacher and mentor Steve Paxton.
http://www.walkerart.org/calendar/2014/talking-dance-steve-paxton