Dear all,

I have been on an airplane and now I see so much has happened in our writing in
the meantime. I will read/address those newer posts later tonight but in this
post I would like to share what I wrote on the subject of voice of (for) others
_

The voice must be given but only to those who express the desire or need, those
who agree to have it projected into space, to have it exist as their voice but
also as our voice, shared as an inscription into the public sphere.

Those who are here now, our contemporaries, and who live in the shadows of
their private or public trauma or who are socially removed from power,
including power of voicing. How can we not offer [as we are positioned in the
realm of visibility, we work with visibility as our language] to be the
conduit, to be the transmitter, the ‘amplifier'?

Those who are no longer here, the forty students in Mexico, those disappeared
whose relatives I met while working on the project in Chile, whose fragile
remains, particles, bone fragments, are still being searched for in the sands,
in the dirt surrounding Santiago. How can we refuse to offer to be their
microphone? Their amplifier? their resonance box? Their archivist? Their
instrument? Their lover/loving listener?

Those who are no longer here, the 1,000 young women seamstresses who perished
in one of the death marches, on their way out of Gruenberg camp ( “Shrouds”),
the abandoned, now forgotten (and sold to a private developer) by the city. The
square as actively not remembered, not seen, by the citizens. The women who
perished there are in oblivion; the site today looks like a damp, full of
debris, which serves as a field for the enacted practice of forgetting, our
active forgetting. How could I refuse to give them our/their voice, the voice
of now living young women that worked with me on that site, lamenting, and who
wanted to speak through their presence (the young women living in this town
today), in order to give the voice to that absence and erasure.

A ribbon came out of the young women raped by a group of citizens on a bus. One
of them recalled during the trial a certain feeling of surprise at the site of
that red ribbon, which was her intestines taken out by a rod inserted violently
into her already devastated and destroyed bleeding body, inserted by the
youngest of the rapists. Her heroic attempts to stay alive without internal
organs left inside, just for a little while, some days following the
destruction, where her body was literally turned inside out, her RIBBON
(something I am working with right now), and her dramatic whispered call. She
addressed us to us to not to forget .  Her voice and her ribbon waving at us,
still today. How can I not give her the voice, the amplification. How can we
not give the voice to the raped and murdered daily victims of the horrific uses
of war and sexual violence  understood as means to destroy, as means to kill,
to penetrate with rods, with bottles, with weapons, harsh objects, those taking
ribbons out, in horrific acts of violence against human beings. We all ought to
see the ribbon. It needs to glow before us, in our memory, in our wake and in
our sleep. I dream of a monument to her internal ribbon that should occupy a
public sphere. Perhaps within the canopy in front of the India Gate. A monument
abolishing rape and abolishing gender based prosecution.  We ought to stand by,
identify with, those who’re tortured, silenced, disappeared, raped, killed,
wounded, beaten, forgotten, invisible, impoverished, deprived, removed.

We as artists have at least a chance, a potential, a chance at visibility,
through the artifacts that we sometimes make, the conditions of enunciation.
Art making as the realm of the visible, always within public domain

Art as pollution and as an accusation and as a trial.

Cultural production as political production, including poetry.  Activating and
transformational, even if only nearing this potential of transformation. The
artifact, the poetic entity, the place, the site of the encounter,
bordelinkings (Bracha Ettinger) . Artifact as the amplifier, as the conduit, as
the transmitter, as a fluid membrane, as a form of resonance, as the act of
waving our silents and often forcibly silenced arms towards the volume of
violence. Potentiality of the realm of the symbolic, what Kristeva calls the
“thing”.  The shortcut, the residue, voice, voice over, voicing, speaking up,
voice as presence.

——

Monika Weiss