Thank you so much, Rustom; I do have a comment and questions.

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014, Rustom Bharucha wrote:

"For whom are they a 'performance', or, more specifically, 'theatre'? Does this apply only to those who 'believe in the religious ideology of ISIS', as Alan assumes, even though there is no empirical evidence to suggest that this is, in actuality, the case? Perhaps, it would be more accurate to say that it is 'we' - representatives of a spectrum of dissenting views whose liberal assumptions are antithetical to the ideology of ISIS - who are in a better position to claim that these beheadings are performances."

I find myself in the discussion, at times, in the midst of theatrical theory or performance studies, and I also find myself incapable of drawing these distinctions which perhaps matter so much. I think the beheadings are a performance, as you say, they are staged; they are regulated, structured, concerned with the mise en scene, etc. There's a long tradition in art of bloodletting, torture, and so forth - any number of performers in the late 60s/70s worked with these process, from Nina Pane to Chris Burden, to artists committing suicide as acts. The fundamental difference is that these were done to the self, not to others, of course.

In the long run, perhaps it doesn't matter as much as the effects of symbolic acts themselves, and here is the crux, for me; the beheading is symbolic, is interpreted from any number of positions, but is deeply effectual: for at least one of the participants, it is the last act she or he will ever know.

The right, as I mentioned before, is brilliant at this; in a past Bush election, a rumor was spread in the rural areas of West Virginia, that if elected, the Democrats would "take away our Bibles" and throw anyone in jail caught reading them. The Democrats lost, and they usually didn't. In a popular book at the time, What's the Matter with Kansas, Thomas Frank described the process of getting people to vote against their interests: "According to the book, the political discourse of recent decades has dramatically shifted from social and economic equality to the use of 'explosive' cultural issues, such as abortion and gay marriage, which are used to redirect anger toward 'liberal elites.'" (Wikipedia) These cultural issues are used as symbols - just as the "Tea Party" title itself is symbolic - and I'd argue that these uses are also performances of slow terror - if the Democrats get in, our very form of life will be changed for the worst. So the right talks about Obamacare as promoting, requiring, "death panels" to get rid of seniors, and so forth.

In the long run, aren't these all symbolic acts, symbolic processes, and perhaps it doesn't matter whether or not a "performance" is involved? Are we stuck on this terminology, which is useful within the enclave of formal and informal cultural production, but perhaps itself creates a situation of exclusion, so that beheadings, for example are bad art or not really art, or bad performance or not really performance - when in fact they move peoples and audiences in far more frightening and perhaps meaningful ways than what we ourselves do? I'm speaking, myself, as a 'failed artist' in this regard - and there is so much good intention in the expression "never again" - and then "it" happens, again and again and again...

- Alan