J: But you do not think of the farewell as a loss and denial, do you?
I: In no way.
J: But?
I: As the coming of what has been.
J: But what is past, goes, has gone - how can it come?
I: The passing of the past is something else than what has been.
J: How are we to think that?
I: As the gathering of what endures ...
J: ... which, as you said recently, endures as what grants endurance ...
I: ... and stays the Same as the message ...
J: ... which needs us as messengers.

- Heidegger, end of "A Dialogue on Language," On the Way to Language

the memorial work is a work of memorialization, a production, projecting time into the future, there is that past which forms a kernel (I'm reminded of the kernel in category theory); suppose the event, were there such (there can be memorials to fantasy as well), were a corrosion, or a constant dissolution - suppose that art is invaded by time - then what of the symbolic act, which is an act or sheaf of actions or directives, what of its efficacy, and is every symbolic act, in performance theory, a performance? - and are the actants messengers, and of what? - apologies for going on at length, I think of the inert brutality of genocidal performance (and for better or worse, I think in fact of performance in this regard also), and then again, what is to be done? - and the plaza is an excellent example of a response - and the plaza itself can be quickly undone, bombed, reimagined as the site of massacre - all those "tribal" (not my word, the media's) villages wiped out - the village markets, squares, plazas, as well, nothing - so we must act not according to our measures, perhaps? - is little said here about political response - voting, neighborhood activism, arming - but everyone in the Ferguson / St Louis area is arming already - the gun stores are sold out we hear -

I: The danger of our dialogues was hidden in language itself, not in _what_ we discussed, nor in the _way in which_ we tried to do so.

- ibid.