"...My own work carries failure in its heart, it helps some people (I hope)
cope with the world - we all
hope for that - it has no effect on the systemic, however...."

In this sentence by Alan, I think, the most succinct crystalization of
power in powerlessness is expressed. In the objective sense of political
action, political change, art (Alan's or others) may be useless. But in
hope -created out of hope and projected in hope- *creating* a conversation
between soul and soul, art is all powerful. Deleuze said, "conversation
between soul and things [human or non-human, living or un-living, not
facts] is what idea is." The power of ideas is slow, deriving from deceptive
seeping passivity.
Murat