So much has been said here in what's been posted overthe last day and a
half—incredibly intelligent posts—that I wonder if I can addanything of
importance. Police brutality all over the world has concerned mefor a long
time. I think of the concept of the hegemon and the abuses of elitepower groups
time and again in different histories—Napoleonic France,  colonial Britainn
America, colonial Spain in America,U.S. abuses, most recentlyin Ferguson.
Oursymbolic treatment of these things here is important to me because I feel
thatit can make some difference—large, small—a difference somewhere. I think
againof context and what occurs to me is to mention that same essay I mentioned
theother day, Walter Benjamin’s “The destructive character.” It’s
availableonline, easy to find, two pages of symbolic action to the extent that
text isaction. I wish I had more right now but I don’t. So just thanks. William