Thank you Ana for the links to the French exhibition! Ana raised many issues and this is only a partly, and personal, reply. There is a point where grown men beheaded and little girls sexually exploited meet in the common theme of the exertion of absolute power over the bodies of others. These are demonstrations of what the group can do/get away with. And it is terrorism, meant to create fear and compliance in others. I think this is distinct from the far more common theme of the maintenance of patriarchal social power through control of sexual information. A very influential book for me is Walter Kendrick's /The Secret Museum, Pornography in Modern Culture///(1987)/. /He makes many arguments//but the most compelling for me is that erotic materials actually convey sexual information and that protected classes -- women and youths, poor men -- are kept in subjugation by denial of sexual information. (We can see the latest iteration of this in the United States where some people are trying to put the genie back in the bottle by trying to repress birth control, sexual education, abortion rights, etc.) Traditionally, young warriors (and athletes before competition) are taught that their prowess will be diminished if they have sex before battle. It is not hard to imagine that having sex would reaffirm life's pleasures and make one less inclined to risk life and limb in warfare. Upper classes have always had access to materials forbidden to the rest of us -- hence the "Enfer" sections of libraries that have become the repositories of materials once held in private collections. "L'origine du Monde" was painted for Khalil Bey, Ottoman diplomat, who had a collection of erotica. Reportedly he kept it behind a curtain which would be pulled back to show particular guests -- performance as display. Circling back, I do wonder what particular cultural arrangements has produced ISIS. Yes, of course, official propaganda might talk about rejection of western colonialism, etc. but what of the psychological factors local tpo that culture? And somewhere in this discussion we might ask about DeSade who would probably assert that we are dealing with the human condition. And one more circling back -- Alan is writing about what happens to humans when their culture is going off the rails. In the case of the United States, much of our culture arose from the existence of a middle class, now under extreme threat.

CS