Doing "premediation research on the fly and on the cheap" sounds right to me.
I tried to address this (without direct reference) in my post about Occupy as
premediation, but as Ricardo notes, resources are distributed very unevenly. It
is troubling (though not surprising) that universities are complicit in this
social media research, taking DoD money to develop empirical models of social
media for purposes of containing or suppressing social movements.

On Dec 10, 2014, at 10:56 AM, Ricardo Dominguez <rrdoming...@ucsd.edu> wrote:

> The difference between the lobal networks I am attaching the politics of
> the question to and the premeditions of power that are working at
> nation-state scales (Putin) or local acts of violence (ISIL) or the
> NSA-often function almost completely with a politics of the answer frame.
> And they all have deep funding to do long term research to establish not
> just a lobal gestures, but long term premediation-as-research to stop any
> lobal gestures happening  and out the control of politics of the answer.
> (This is one of the reasons Occupy annoyed a number of communities because
> they were not offering an answer, but embodying a question)-but back to
> research:
>
> "...in 2008 – the year of the global banking crisis – the DoD 'Minerva
> Research Initiative' partners with universities "to improve DoD's basic
> understanding of the social, cultural, behavioral, and political forces
> that shape regions of the world of strategic importance to the US...Among
> the projects awarded for the period 2014-2017 is a Cornell University-led
> study managed by the US Air Force Office of Scientific Research which aims
> to develop an empirical model "of the dynamics of social movement
> mobilization and contagions." The project will determine "the critical
> mass (tipping point)" of social contagions by studying their "digital
> traces" in the cases of "the 2011 Egyptian revolution, the 2011 Russian
> Duma elections, the 2012 Nigerian fuel subsidy crisis and the 2013 Gazi
> park protests in Turkey." Twitter posts and conversations will be examined
> "to identify individuals mobilized in a social contagion and when they
> become mobilized."
>
> http://www.theguardian.com/environment/earth-insight/2014/jun/12/pentagon-mass-civil-breakdown
>
> At least for me the lobal gestures that I am attaching the term to-do not
> have this type of funding. But I think that what Diana was touching on was
> the need to establish something like it. We often do premediation-research
> on the fly and on the cheap.
>
> Ricardo
>

>> Hola Ricardo,
>> One thing Putin did in response to the sanctions by the United States is
>> force MacDonald places to shut down "for health violations" in Russia, or
>> ISIL wants to shut down all western institutions, or someone blowing
>> himself/herself up in the middle of a market in Iraq or Afghanistan.
>> Aren't
>> all these (and the list goes on) attacks against local institutions for
>> one
>> reason or another? My assumption is they do not necessarily share your
>> ideology or have your sympathies, but are they not lobal responses?
>> Murat
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM, Ricardo Dominguez <rrdoming...@ucsd.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> ----------empyre- soft-skinned space----------------------

> [...]